In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mini 30 Compensator

JoeFazJoeFaz Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
edited January 2013 in Ask the Experts
I just purchased this comp for my Mini 30. It came with no instructions, but looks like it was made to fit around the standard sight. My question, how the heck do I get the sight off, then back on as it does not appear to simply slide over the sight, as the add implied. The comp came with a replacement pin, but I'm clueless as to how to get the old one out.
Here's the comp:

http://www.innovativeindustriesllc.com/products/compensator-flash-hider-mini-30

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ruger changed the front sight on their Mini's. Here is a photo of a old 30 with one. If you have a newer model Mini 30, it has a different front sight.

mini%2030.jpg
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JoeFaz
    I just purchased this comp for my Mini 30. It came with no instructions, but looks like it was made to fit around the standard sight. My question, how the heck do I get the sight off, then back on as it does not appear to simply slide over the sight, as the add implied. The comp came with a replacement pin, but I'm clueless as to how to get the old one out.
    Here's the comp:

http://www.innovativeindustriesllc.com/products/compensator-flash-hider-mini-30

Thanks for any help!

If you have the older style Mini-30: You do not need to remove the front sight, just the pin. Drive it out with the proper size punch, slide the flash hider/comp over the sight and tap the new longer pin in place. The longer pin protrudes into the notches of the hider/comp and holds it in place.

The hider/comp in the link is for the older Mini-30; "rufe-snow's" picture is of that older Mini-30. If your barrel does not look like the one in "rufe-snow's" picture, the hider/comp in your link will not work.

Additionally, if there are no instructions with the hider/comp you purchased, are you sure it is for the Mini-30? There are ones made that look exactly the same that are for the Mini-14. If yours won't slide over the front sight (the fit is too tight) I'd guess you might have a Mini-14 hider/comp accidentally sold/labeled as being for the Mini-30.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The used mini-30 I bought had that exact style of flash hider on it, I took it off by punching the roll pin out and sliding it off. (I didn't like the looks of it)

As was stated by R-S, if your Mini is the newer style with the wings protecting the front sight, it might not fit. If it has the single "shark fin" style like my older one, it should fit just fine.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,143 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So by you adding this thing on you'll be cool with the law? Also make sre you got the Mini-30 instead of the 14 or otherwise you'll be walking down range for a pick up [:D].

Like it's been mentioned all you need t do is to punch the front sight roll pin out and slide the comp on and use the roll pin provided to keep it in place.

Also you might wanna do a before and after install for bullet placement.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It's the new version, just got it a year ago. The comp was sold clearly marked for the 30. The ad said nothing about "new" or "old" style. So I will either try to punch out the pin, (that oughta be fun) or I will just eat the money I spent on it, which wasn't much. Anyone want it?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by yoshmyster
    So by you adding this thing on you'll be cool with the law? Also make sre you got the Mini-30 instead of the 14 or otherwise you'll be walking down range for a pick up [:D].

Like it's been mentioned all you need t do is to punch the front sight roll pin out and slide the comp on and use the roll pin provided to keep it in place.

Also you might wanna do a before and after install for bullet placement.

No law problems with a compensator, flash "hider" may be another issue but since this isn't an "assault" weapon, I don't think it'll matter either way. Regarding shot placement, that was my other worry, getting the sight back on exactly where it was.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JoeFaz
    It's the new version, just got it a year ago. The comp was sold clearly marked for the 30. The ad said nothing about "new" or "old" style. So I will either try to punch out the pin, (that oughta be fun) or I will just eat the money I spent on it, which wasn't much. Anyone want it?

Don't punch the pin out, until you measure the OD of the barrel. The comp? Was made to go over the old front sight, not the barrel. If the ID of the comp is larger then the OD of the barrel, I don't believe it will fit correctly on the barrel.