In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

m-14

varminter3varminter3 Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
edited January 2013 in Ask the Experts
OK, I'm kinda slow. I know what a M1 is and also a M1A carbine. In basic training I carried an M-14. Heavy gun, I hated it.Is this a smaller clone of the M1 or what?I've always been curious.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have an m-14 with no manufacture markings on it. The barrel is marked U.S. just forward of the receiver and there is a serial number on the left side of the reciever below the rear site and the same number appears on the receiver on the outside of the mag well. I cannot find any other markings. It's in a gi issue stock with cartouches on it. Is anyone familier with this rifle, any guess on manufacture. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ca anybody tell me when the M-14 was made and how soon after was the M1A1 made?
    Thanks for your help
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't have even a wild guess. Without photos, we can't help you.

Neal

EDIT: I believe rufe-snow is referring to Federal Ordnance rifles, which were mostly made in China, as were the Norinco's & Polytech's. USGI rifles were made by Springfield Armory, Winchester, TRW, & Harrington & Richardson Arms. Many USGI rifles were stolen from the military, so it would be wise to positively identify that the one in question is legal to possess so as to avoid extensive incarceration.

EDIT: A Norinco would have had a manufacturers name. As would a USGI receiver. If we could see the SN, that would probably allow us to rule out stolen US property. But, even a Norinco without a name would be impossible to legally transfer through an FFL. Plus, the only documented analysis of an M14 catastrophic failure was due to poor metallurgy in an unidentifiable barrel (Chinese ?). Maybe this one has too many possible problems.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well I have pictures, I'm trying to figure out how to post them now. Having a bit of trouble.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    All of the ones I was familiar with (several dozen) all said Winchester at the back of the action.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Need quality photos and at least a partial serial number for an accurate identification and valuation. Link gives instructions for posting photos.

From the 1970's onward a number of commercially made semi-auto replicas of the M 14 were made. If I had to guess your unmarked one was probably one of the National Ordnance, "Do It Yourself" kit guns.

http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    Federal law requires that all domestically manufactured firearms produced for sale be marked with the manufacturers name, city, state, model, caliber/gauge and serial number. In the case of foreign manufacture, they must be marked with the country of origin, importer's name, city, state and serial number.

Even older US military firearms contain at least the manufacturer's name along with a serial because that number alone really does no one any good without knowing whose serial number it is.

What it boils down to is that you shouldn't be seeing any sort of modern firearm in the US marked with just a serial number.

Does the area of the receiver where the manufacturer's info should be appear to have been buffed down or altered in some way?

EDIT
    quote:Originally posted by varminter3
    Ok, if its a norinco as stated without markings is it legal to own. Or should I walk away from the deal.
    Manufacturers are allowed to choose whatever numbers or letter number combinations they wish for their serials, as long as they aren't repeated. Due to this, a serial number alone would be of no use if the manufacturer who created the series isn't also specified.

Look up and give Code of Federal Regulations 478.92 a read. It describes what markings are required.
  • Options
    the middlethe middle Member Posts: 3,089
    edited November -1
    Its a Norinco imported back in the late 80's and early 90's. Somebody put a US made barrel and stock on it. Norinco made some pretty good M-14 recievers, they had good harness to them, so Ive read. Made a good place to start a build. I know, I had the exact same thing, before I lost it on the bottom of the local bottomless lake.[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok, if its a norinco as stated without markings is it legal to own. Or should I walk away from the deal.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers

Neal

EDIT: I believe rufe-snow is referring to Federal Ordnance rifles, which were mostly made in China, as were the Norinco's & Polytech's. USGI rifles were made by Springfield Armory, Winchester, TRW, & Harrington & Richardson Arms. Many USGI rifles were stolen from the military, so it would be wise to positively identify that the one in question is legal to possess so as to avoid extensive incarceration.

National Ordnance was owned by John Arnold. Although he was in business located in the same city as Federal Ordnance, and had ties to them. His business was a separate entity. When he passed away in the early 70's, the M 14 receivers and parts were sold as "Do it Yourself" kits, by the executors of his estate.

I don't believe a Norinco M 14 receiver would be unmarked other then serial number.

I believe that your receiver is one of Arnold's and would pass on it. Unless you had the opportunity to test fire it, for positive function. At least 100 rounds.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by varminter3

Its legal....I bought mine from a well established FFL. He would have known if it was legal or no5.....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers

Neal

National Ordnance was owned by John Arnold. Although he was in business located in the same city as Federal Ordnance, and had ties to them. His business was a separate entity. When he passed away in the early 70's, the M 14 receivers and parts were sold as "Do it Yourself" kits, by the executors of his estate.

I don't believe a Norinco M 14 receiver would be unmarked other then serial number.

I believe that your receiver is one of Arnold's and would pass on it. Unless you had the opportunity to test fire it, for positive function. At least 100 rounds.

Its a Norinco........and it said that on the box and psper work.......I put the barrel and stock on it!