In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ways to block down magazines to new regs...

wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
edited January 2013 in Ask the Experts
With the pending changes to magazine sizes. What are best methods and procedures for making magazines lessor in capacity?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Used wooden dowels to size down pump shotguns to fed and state regs...

What is best materials (plastic wood) to use for other magazines.
  • Options
    poshposh Member Posts: 360 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sure that the mag manufacturers will make plastic replacement followers with legs on each corner that can be cut or otherwise adjusted to fit different needs.
  • Options
    tjh1948tjh1948 Member Posts: 464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do not think that either a wood block or longer follower legs would satisfy the not readily convertable part of any law. You probably need to do something like Browning did on their HP Mousetrap Spring Magazines. Removing the block would need to make the magazine unusable, which neither the wood block nor long follower legs would do. Besides, I doubt that you would ever get a definition of what would make a magazine non-convertable short of a not guilty ruling.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    If you install a block and you can still physically disassemble the magazine then it is doubtful that it would be considered permanent. If you install the block and then epoxy the floor plate into place (example) and make it impossible to disassemble the magazine and remove the block without destroying the mag then you are probably okay.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well that would suck, however sound like good government in action...
    quote:Originally posted by tjh1948
    I do not think that either a wood block or longer follower legs would satisfy the not readily convertable part of any law. You probably need to do something like Browning did on their HP Mousetrap Spring Magazines. Removing the block would need to make the magazine unusable, which neither the wood block nor long follower legs would do. Besides, I doubt that you would ever get a definition of what would make a magazine non-convertable short of a not guilty ruling.
  • Options
    Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are talking about NY they already have blocked magazines on the list and they have to be registered as more than 7. The only way you could make them legal is cut them off and reattach the base plate. If you re not talking about NY this is really a defeatist post!

Emmett
  • Options
    machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    I've shortened metal magazines for firing from prone or from the bench. Cut the mag about 1/8 inch longer than you want it, and flange the body so you can reinstall the baseplate. But, depending on the design of the particular gun, you may not be able to shorten the mag body enough to meet a capacity restriction.

But a permanent plug, works. I didn't to it for the purpose of reducing mag capacity, but when Yugo M57 mags were scarce, I modified standard Tokarev mags by grinding off the baseplate flanges and making a wooden extension that was relieved so that it was a snug fit when inserted into the bottom of the mag. The mags were then drilled through the body and the plug, and threaded through both the bodies and plugs for machine screws. the screws were installed with epoxy on the threads, and then cut off and ground flush. The projecting parts of the wooden extensions were shaped identical to the exterior mag dimensions so they would insert into the handle, and then a metal 'floorplate' was added. The plugs reduced the capacity of standard Tokarev mags from 8 to 7, but they were plinker mags, and they worked.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry, I am feeling sick to my stomach. This sounds like 2 women discussing the best way to get raped.

Neal
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quick answer is this:

If you don't live in NY state there are no "pending changes to magazine sizes". Everything that was legal 6 months ago is still legal, and still will be in six months from now.

If, and only if you do live in NY State, and you're really sure you don't want to get the hell out of there, you still don't have to reduce the capacity of your magazines.

If I understand this correctly, you're still allowed to possess magazines of 10 rounds or greater capacity (if "pre-ban") you're just not allowed to LOAD them with more than 7 rounds at a time.

Incidentally, the "easiest" way to reduce your magazine capacity is to sell off the standard capacity magazines you have (ie to individuals who live in free states) and buy restricted capacity magazines. . .assuming they're available for your particular gun.

Since restricted mags are often cheaper than standard ones, this "may" put money in your pocket, and has the added side benefit of not ruining perfectly good magazines.