In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Help New Owner

lndbarron1lndbarron1 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited January 2013 in Ask the Experts
Just purchased a Winchester Model 94 and a KAHR CW9:
What is good target practice ammunition to use?

Can other calibers be used with either of these guns,
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    spas12spas12 Member Posts: 571 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You didn't mention what caliber the 94 is.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome to GB:

As a rule, you should only shoot ammunition in the caliber that is specifically on the gun. Always read your owners manuals to ensure you're familiar with the firearm and the caliber it is chambered in. If you don't have them, try this site:

http://stevespages.com/page7b.htm

This has a listing of literally hundreds of owners' manuals on it.

For the Kahr 9mm: Honestly, just about any 9mm you can find on the shelf today will work for practice. Today's shelves are bare, so a 115gr FMJ, 124 FMJ or even a 147gr FMJ loading will do fine. For carry or defense, look for a 115 or 124 gr JHP from a major manufacturer of quality defensive ammo such as Remington, Winchester, Hornady, CCI-Speer, etc. whatever defensive ammo you choose, buy enough to ensure it is 100% reliable in your Kahr.

As for the Winchester '94, I will guess it's a .30-30, as they came in a lot of other calibers but the .30-30 is most popular. I've had good luck with plain-Jane Remington 150 gr core lokts, Winchester 150 gr silvertips, and Federal 150 gr. Hi-shoks. Others like the 170 grainers, they also work fine (I just like the 150's personally).

Have fun, and good luck with your new firearms.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would buy ammunition from any of the reputable manufacturers for the 94. Assuming it is a 30-30 I like the 170 grain from W-W, but have just tried the LeveRevolution from Hornady and it seems very good. If it is another caliber use only that caliber from a reputable maker.

The Kahrs are rated for +p ammunition and I use the Speer Gold Dot +p "Short Barrel" loading in my PM9 and it is excellent. For practice I agree with Riomouse - use any reputable manufacturers FMJ loads. It's a good idea to go along with Kahr's recommendation and put 200 rounds through the gun before using it as a defensive weapon
  • Options
    lndbarron1lndbarron1 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank You for all the info very helpful.