In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

legal restrictions on ammo

dustinfoxdustinfox Member Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
edited January 2013 in Ask the Experts
I read the thread on shipping ammo and it is very helpful. One thing I am wondering though, are there any states or localities with restrictions on ammo purchasing? Are there states I should NOT ship to? Or where there are criteria on shipping/receiving ammo?

Thanks!

Update: Not sure if this is a complete answer but I just pulled up a product page from a nationwide sporting goods store and they say NO AMMO to DC, IL, MA, NJ, and NY. I am surprised not to see CA on that list.

Comments

• Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can only speak from experience about MA.

There isn't a "law" but instead an attourney general "pseudolaw" that prevents anyone except licensed ammo dealers from "importing" ammo or ammo components.

Anyway, a few years ago, the AG was aggressive in threatening legal action against retailers selling ammo into MA, effectively forcing a few to sign "consent orders" saying they weren't going to ship into MA anymore. Whether this action is legal or not, considering the market there is relatively small most felt it wasn't worth the hassle to fight and just won't ship ammo there.

But there are a few dealers who will still ship there.

Not incidentally, this whole thing is pure BS. Although it requires a state issued ID to purchase or possess ammo in MA, and ammo sources are limited, anyone who wants to buy some can just drive right across the border to NH, and buy as much as they like over the counter at any Walmart. (And stock up on cheaper NH booze too, I suppose).
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Certain cities in CA do not allow mailed ammo. Sacramento comes to mind and I believe Los Angeles.

Correction ammo shipped to a residence.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rsnyder55
    Certain cities in CA do not allow mailed ammo. Sacramento comes to mind and I believe Los Angeles.

Just to clarify, ammo may not be 'mailed' per se, but must go common carrier, ie. Fed Ex or UPS, and must be marked 'ORM-D small arms ammunition.'
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are cities and counties in Ca, along with some in other states, that prohibit ammo sales via the internet/mail order. Since there are so many different ones, I'd suggest you check for that specific state, county and city rule before you agree to sell/ship.
  • Options
    SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    check cheaper than dirt. they have a listing on areas where they will not ship ammo. they probably have it covered fairly well.
  • Options
    dustinfoxdustinfox Member Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great information everyone. Thanks so much!!