In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester Semi-Deluxe vs. Deluxe?

coicecoice Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
edited January 2013 in Ask the Experts
Can anyone please tell me what the differences are between a "semi-deluxe" vs. "deluxe" model in regards to a Model 1894 Winchester? Will the Cody letter state that it is a "semi-deluxe" or "deluxe" if the Winchester is in fact a "semi-deluxe" or "deluxe" model? Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge.

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The difference is in the quality of the wood, and in the checkering pattern. The "semi-deluxe" Model 1894s have plain walnut or 1X, and were checkered with the I-pattern style. The Fancy (deluxe) Sporting Rifles will almost always have 3X walnut, and have the H-pattern (more extensive) checkering style.

Winchester never referred to them as "deluxe" or "semi-deluxe". Instead, they called the "deluxe" a "Fancy Sporting Rifle". The CFM factory letter will sometimes say "fancy", but in most cases, it will only specify "CS PG" (Checkered Stock Pistol Grip). The primary difference between a standard Sporting Rifle, and the Fancy sporting rifle was a straight grip versus a pistol grip.

For examples of each, go to this weblink - http://www.rarewinchesters.com/gunroom/1894/model_94.shtml
  • Options
    coicecoice Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Bert. You are the Winchester Guru. The semi-deluxe I am looking at buying is offered by Leroy Merz. I have heard good things about them. Thanks again.
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow, great write-up![;)]

quote:Originally posted by Bert H.
    The difference is in the quality of the wood, and in the checkering pattern. The "semi-deluxe" Model 1894s have plain walnut or 1X, and were checkered with the I-pattern style. The Fancy (deluxe) Sporting Rifles will almost always have 3X walnut, and have the H-pattern (more extensive) checkering style.

Winchester never referred to them as "deluxe" or "semi-deluxe". Instead, they called the "deluxe" a "Fancy Sporting Rifle". The CFM factory letter will sometimes say "fancy", but in most cases, it will only specify "CS PG" (Checkered Stock Pistol Grip). The primary difference between a standard Sporting Rifle, and the Fancy sporting rifle was a straight grip versus a pistol grip.

For examples of each, go to this weblink - http://www.rarewinchesters.com/gunroom/1894/model_94.shtml
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.