In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need to anneal?

5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
edited January 2013 in Ask the Experts
I just got 3000+ pieces of 223 military brass that was made in the late 60s. 65 to 69, most is headstamped LC. It is once fired as the primer is still crimped in. I got it at a great price, 50 bucks. Our reloading expert at the range has told me that brass gets harder with age and that I need to anneal before loading or the brass will split...true? I guess I could load and few and see but I thought asking the experts here would be better.

Comments

• Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would say it does not need to be re-annealed. The whole purpose of the origional anneal is to prevent neck splitting over time as in long term storage. Annealing 3,000 cartridge cases is not an evenings project! If you are going to anneal, the time to do it would be after 3 or 4 firings, IMHO.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm with Ambrose unless your case forming to something else. I use a manual punch with a block to deprime and a lyman primer pocket reamer. You might consider the rcbs primer pocket swedge. Maybe one of those champhering cutting heads on a case trimmer or at least a drill press option.