In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Fire damaged 30-30 question

poppaleepoppalee Member Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2013 in Ask the Experts
I put a stock on a fire damaged 94 winchester for a wall hanger.
Would it be possible to have the frame case hardened then replace the rest of the parts? Could i keep some like the lever, replace the internal and barrel? The gun looks pretty good now, the spring are shot. I know this would be a long process looking for the parts at a reasonable price.

Comments

• Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What you're asking to do for a wall hanger can be pricy. I'd say, if it looks OK, leave it be.

If you want to do the work yorself, you could rebuild the entire thing. Check Numrich or other dealers in parts, along with posting "want to buy" ads on the want ads page for the pieces.

One thing that might not make the work worthwhile: From what I've seen on sites specializing in this, color-casehardening is a 250 and waaaaay up dollar job alone. I guess you could disassemble the receiver, clean it up, heat it to 1000 dgrees in a home furnace, use some Kasenit powder, re heat it, quench it, and see what happens.
  • Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kasenit leaves a dull grey finish with no colors.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Even if the parts were free, it will not be a reasonable project. Leave it as wall hanger would be my thought. Correct heat treatment for a black powder muzzle loader is not too critical, nitrocellulose is another story.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,762 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hanger,imo,,,just not worth the effort-or money
  • Options
    SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yes you can have it color case hardened. to make it functional you would have to check the receiver to make sure it wasn't distorted from the heat.
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't say they still do cch on guns as it's been a few years, but try calling Fred Heinzleman. The 1910 Mex Mauser I had them do was amazing, and their price was fractions of the likes of Turnbull.

Heinzelman Heat Treating

790 Washington Ave
    Carlstadt, NJ 07072
    (201) 933-4800