In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Help with identifying old Shotgun

jasonws1jasonws1 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited January 2013 in Ask the Experts
Good afternoon everyone
I was hoping someone out there would be able to help me with identifying an old shotgun.
I got it from my Grandpa when he died which from what I am told the shotgun was either his dads or grandfathers. It is a single barrel brake open. A twelve gauge shell will not fit into it, barely, so I am assuming it is 16 gauge and there is only two markings on the entire gun. One is a engraved signature and the other is a stamped number. I have attached some photos to help.
Anything would help me, I am not wanting to sell it, just wanting to know some history and how much it is worth.
Thank you
Jason
Oldshotgun3_zps714674cc.jpg
Oldshotgun1_zps11aa9cff.jpg
Oldshotgun2_zps99c2aada.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jason, Welcome to the forums. You'll need to try your photos again, they didn't work.

You will need to leave the pictures in the photo hosting site. If you delet them after posting them here, we end up with the red X's.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am having troubles posting the images. I just tried it again and nothing.
    Any suggestions?
  • Options
    00scoots00scoots Member Posts: 410 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    got it!!!
    sorry about that
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't read the marking on either the shotgun, or on the piece of paper.

These older single barrel shotguns were made in great quantity from the later part of the 19th Century to the 1930's. A number of different US manufacturers made them during this time frame. They were made as utility grade shotguns to be sold inexpensively in local hardware stores. Many different names were inscribed on them. As the owner of the store could have any name or Trade Mark on them, if they were ordered in sufficient quantity. Because of this they are known to American collectors as "Store Brand" or "Hardware" guns. Generally they have very little value.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    From what I can read the marking says "Mio, N. Price"
  • Options
    Ned FallNed Fall Member Posts: 662
    edited November -1
    From what I can see in the photographs (and I'm sorry to say they are not very good)
    the gun is a single barrel, single shot break open breech loading "Trade Brand Name" shotgun and was made by the Crescent Fire Arms Company of Norwich,CT (1892 to 1930+). A "Trade Brand Name" shotgun is one that was made by a major maker for and was sold by a wholesale sporting goods dealer, a retail chain store or and independent seller (you local hardware store) who chose the name to go on the gun. Crescent Fire Arms Company was the biggest maker ever of such guns making over 2,200,000 shotguns using over 450 known names. I can't make out the name stamped on the left side of the receiver but if you will post it and the serial number of the gun (found on the bottom tang just behind the trigger guard) I'm sure I can tell you who the gun was made for and when it was made.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******
    edited November -1
    just to note; 'back in the day' they did make 14 ga. shotguns.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ned Fall
    From what I can see in the photographs (and I'm sorry to say they are not very good)
    the gun is a single barrel, single shot break open breech loading "Trade Brand Name" shotgun and was made by the Crescent Fire Arms Company of Norwich,CT (1892 to 1930+). A "Trade Brand Name" shotgun is one that was made by a major maker for and was sold by a wholesale sporting goods dealer, a retail chain store or and independent seller (you local hardware store) who chose the name to go on the gun. Crescent Fire Arms Company was the biggest maker ever of such guns making over 2,200,000 shotguns using over 450 known names. I can't make out the name stamped on the left side of the receiver but if you will post it and the serial number of the gun (found on the bottom tang just behind the trigger guard) I'm sure I can tell you who the gun was made for and when it was made.

Thank you very much for trying to help me.
    Sorry about the pictures, here are some new ones. If you can, I would like a ball park of how much value it has. Thank you very much for the information.
    Oldshotgun6_zps6faef592.jpg
    Oldshotgun4_zps85696148.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    just to note; 'back in the day' they did make 14 ga. shotguns.

really, never knew that
  • Options
    hrfhrf Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The inscription reads Jno. W. Price.

Vorisek's "Shotgun Markings" lists J. W. PRICE as made by J. Stevens Arms & Tool Co. on Model 90's