In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester model 42 thoughts and comments

NordicwargodNordicwargod Member Posts: 102 ✭✭
edited January 2013 in Ask the Experts
My friend brought back some of his fathers guns including this Model 42. He thinks his dad bought it in 1960. He also bought two model 12s in 20 gauge and 12 gauge. This 42 is in great condition with hardly a ding or scratch anywhere on it. The wood is what is most interesting to me. Is this a select grade? All three guns seem to have the same grade of wood. The rib is also different. Did Winchester install it, send it out to be installed, or was it done after it was purchased? He also brought back the 20 gauge and I will do another posting on it.
The serial number is 161607. He and his brother did shoot them through the 60s growing up and then they were put in a safe for the next 20+ years.
What we would like to know when it was made, thoughts on condition/wood/special features, and if anyone can give a value for insurance purposes? Much appreciated.

Edit #1 No one? Not feeling the love here! I did post about all three shotguns before but with crappy pics takin on a phone. His dad bought these when he was 7 years old and he would like some experts opinion.

Edit #2 Thank you Gearhead. I talked to him and he does not think his father sent it out to have the rib installed. I did not know that "skeet" guns were premium.

Edit #3 Thank you Bert. Other than the length and choke of the barrel what is different about a "skeet" grade gun? Why would Winchester put different checkering and wood on it? I thought trap or pigeon grades were premium.

Edit #4 I have heard/read conflicting info on the Simmons Rib. I talked to the owner and he does not "think" his father sent it out to be done but it could be possible. He is certain his father bought it new. Does anyone have the records to help me with the date of manufacture? He would like to pin it down to at least the year. Thanks
Edit # 5: We dig it brought up the issue of fit at the action and the butt of wood to metal/buttstock fit. So I have added some better close up pictures. Please let me know what you think?

[img][/img]stuff1003.jpg

[img][/img]stuff1004.jpg

[img][/img]stuff1005.jpg

[img][/img]stuff1007.jpg

[img][/img]stuff3007.jpg

[img][/img]stuff3008.jpg

[img][/img]stuff3009.jpg

[img][/img]stuff3010.jpg

[img][/img]stuff3011.jpg

[img][/img]stuff3012.jpg

[img][/img]stuff3013.jpg

[img][/img]stuff3014.jpg

[img][/img]stuff3015.jpg

I took these pictures outside on a cloudy day here in western Washington. I thought they would turn out better than this with no glare. I also wiped down the metal with CLP before the pictures were taken and there is a few pieces of lint which looks like small dings but the finish is in extremely good conditon with very few flaws.

Comments

• Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's a nice looking 42. The Skeet model is always a treat to see! The vent. rib is a Simmons. Either sent out by Winchester for install or the owner did it. 42 Skeet models bring a nice buck, that's for sure. I would think $2500.00-$3500.00 minimum for insurance purposes.....I'm sure some others will be along to weigh in also.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree... it is a Skeet grade gun. The checkering pattern is the key. It appears to have slightly better walnut than usual for a Skeet grade. Collectors pay very good premiums for the higher grade guns.
  • Options
    Old hickoryOld hickory Member Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We're not writing much because we're jealous of you and the beautiful 42 that dropped in your lap ! Congratulations.
  • Options
    SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Generally if it says Simmons on the rib it was installed after leaving the factory. Can you see the Winchester proof mark on the barrel just to the left of the rib?. I would say 3,500.00. here in the midwest as 42's have been real high for a couple of years. A real nice plain barrel will bring up to 2,200.00.
  • Options
    we_dig_itwe_dig_it Member Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I suspect something is up with this model 42. The butt pad didnt leave the factory with such an "ill fit" IMO....

Nice 42 though
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I would be willing to bet the butt plate shrunk seen it before .
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The receiver DOM is 11/3/1961. I seem to recall that Simmons would not only install their vent ribs on aftermarket Winchesters, which required them to refinish the metal in order for the bluing to match, but they would also restock them if requested.
    What's next?
  • Options
    we_dig_itwe_dig_it Member Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Doesnt look like a very good fit at the action in the 1st pic.

Not nit-picking, just stating the obvious....