In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt AR15 early model

williereedwilliereed Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited January 2013 in Ask the Experts
I have an early model AR15 with the lesser twist barrel, which limits ammo choices to 52 or 55 grain, and I have a few questions:
what is this model called?
how much could I sell it for?
is this model a 1 in 7 twist?
what do later models have?
could I simply change the barrel?
if so, what does changing the barrel cost?

part of me is fed up with the ammo issue and wants to get a different gun, the other part wants to just leave it sit in the safe.

Comments

• Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    For accurate information post good pics or at least relate what's stamped on the left side of the magazine well, along with any barrel stampings and the serial number.
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by williereed
    I have an early model AR15 with the lesser twist barrel, which limits ammo choices to 52 or 55 grain, and I have a few questions:
    what is this model called?
    how much could I sell it for?
    is this model a 1 in 7 twist?
    what do later models have?
    could I simply change the barrel?
    if so, what does changing the barrel cost?

part of me is fed up with the ammo issue and wants to get a different gun, the other part wants to just leave it sit in the safe.

Not necessarily on the 52-55 gr bullets. Mine shot the old Speer 70 grainers real well.
    The older twist rate would be a 1 in 10 or possibly 1 in 12. The newer twist rates are 1/7 and 1/9

Model could be a 604 or simply a Colt Sporter I

Prices can be all over the place it is supply and demand and if someone else is looking for one at the time you sell it.

As far as changing the barrel the internet is your friend. There are numerous videos on line that explain and show you how to do it. You would need a couple of tools and you could do it yourself in less then a half hour.
  • Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How early is "early?" Single digit? Two Digit? Three digit? 1970s?

The first commercial AR-15 Colts were shipped in 1964, and have a twist rate of 1 in 12. Anything made in 1964 qualifies as "early" in my book.

There are many differences in first-year guns. The high collector value of a true "early" AR-15 is so high that it does not make sense to alter the gun by changing barrels. If you want a "shooter" AR-15, sell the "early" one for big bucks and buy one with the rifling twist you desire.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    WHY are you so hung up on being able to shoot heavy weight bullets. The one TWO valid reasons is #1 hunting big game and #2 long range target or Hunting I would bet 90% or more AR15's are used at ranges 200 yards or less and a tin can or paper target can't tell the difference between a 55 grain bullet and a 90 grain one.
  • Options
    shooter10shooter10 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Before you ask what it is worth, it is necessary to determine what model you have? I am guessing it could be a Colt SP-1? So what is the model name on the side of the receiver? Is it a triangular front stock? Does the serial number start with SP?
    And my take on your last question: is to trade for a different gun or leave it in the safe. Barrels and parts are "through the roof".
  • Options
    MrM1A1MrM1A1 Member Posts: 2,764 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You more than likely have a Colt SP1. Pics would help greatly to determine what you have.

SP1's all had 1:12 twist barrels, which were the same barrels used for their concurrent M16 production, they were just stamped with an S toward the muzzle to designate commercial SP1 production. The reason for the 1:12 twist was the fact that the military used M193 5.56 NATO ammunition, which is 55gr. The slower twist rate accommodates lighter bullets. Colt switched to 1:7 twist to accommodate the switch to M855 and other 62gr ammunition. The transition to the A2 model in 1983-'84 signaled the end of factory 1:12 rifled commercial guns. Colt factory 1:12 barrels were produced on factory guns until 1984, replacement 1:12 barrels (military) were made by Colt and other contacted companies through the '90's, mainly for R700 series A2 carbines.

If you don't like the 1:12 twist, I would recommend finding a 1:9 or 1:7 setup. You could put a different upper on the Colt, just be sure to keep the original upper.

The SP1's value will depend on what year it was made, and if it is all original. It is worth more in original configuration. 1964-'66 production will command a premium, due to some early parts being used, Edgewater buffer, chrome BCG, early barrels etc. Late '60's are also desireable, pre-chromed barrels. SP1's made from 1974-'84 are considered late models and aren't quite as desireable to collectors, but really all SP1's are becoming more and more collectible. In order to determine if your gun is all original, you're going to need to posti pics of every marking, the bolt carrier group, buffer, and detailed pics of the receivers.

Rough values for all original excellent condition SP1's are as follows:

1964 - $2,000+ --- 1 and 2 digit serials can bring up to $4k-$5k+
    1965-'66 - $1,600-$2,000
    1967-'69 - $1,400-$1,600
    1970-'73 - $1,200-$1,400
    1974-'84 - $1,000-$1,200

These are rough prices, guns are really worth what someone is willing to pay. Condition also plays a factor. The market is different than it was 2 months ago, hence the value ranges.

SP1 Carbines will command a bit of a premium over the rifles, however they weren't made until the early '70's, so prices on carbines will stay relatively flat.

Early '70's Carbines will command $1,500-$2,000
    Later Carbines will command $1,300-$1,600

Again, rough values.

As a retro AR15/M16 collector, my recommendation would be to leave it all original, whether you sell/trade it or keep it is up to you.

Without and more info, it is impossible to nail down a value. Hope this helps.