In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ammo problems with AR platforms?

A1BigTunaA1BigTuna Member Posts: 126 ✭✭
edited January 2013 in Ask the Experts
I just had a couple of problems with white box .223 ammo. Some of the rounds would not eject and I had a hard time pulling the charging handle back, in fact had to strike the handle.
Was told that the cause was small burrs or the like on the case mouth. I have not had this problem or heard of it, is this something that others have run into?

Comments

• Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    While not an AR owner, I have fired many rounds out of friends' ARs. Usually this issue was caused by dirty chambers, steel cased ammo, etc.; however, if it chambered freely, I don't think any minor brass imperfections would likely cause this. Not saying it couldn't; but if you don't feel such burrs with the finger, I don't think that that's the culprit.

My vote goes to dirty chamber or old, hard brass that isn't springing back, if factory ammo; or some other weapon malfunction. Mind you out of spec brass- such as 5.56 in a .223 chamber- could do this. Any chance that's the problem?
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try chambering and then manually unchambering the round. You seldom get sticking rounds with factory new ammo, but might with reloads that were not trimmed properly. A dirty chamber is frequently the culprit with sticking brass. If it's factory ammo, it's likely a dirty chamber.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The ammo was .223 Rem, white box. The AR only has about 100-150 rounds through it. I used an AR chamber brush. I will clean the chamber again with Hoppes tomorrow and give it another try.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What make is your AR-15? If it says Hesse, Vulcan, Blackthorne, or CAI on it, all bets are off, that it will function properly.

Best
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    rem yellow or green box winchester white box
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It is a Windham, the original Bushmaster manufacture. Worked fine the first time I fired a few rounds, had to stop early, so did not get to fire it a normal session.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by A1BigTuna
    It is a Windham, the original Bushmaster manufacture. Worked fine the first time I fired a few rounds, had to stop early, so did not get to fire it a normal session. It was white box.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There could be a few issues, the first fix is a very good cleaning of the entire barrel/chamber, bolt and carrier group, and proper lubrication of the parts.

I have not seen/held a Windham, I will guess the chambers are for 5.56 NATO like my Bushmaster, so the dimensions/pressure of the .223 Rem ammo should be OK (If it is factory ammo). In case you weren't aware; Shooting 5.56/.223 in a 5.56 chambered firearm is OK, shooting 5.56 in a .223 chambered firearm is not due to minor dimension/pressure differences.

Try firing the same ammo again. (Other than being familiar with the Winchester-USA "white box" ammo, I don't know who makes what you're shooting or whether it's a factory load or a reload.)

If it continues jamming, try a different brand/type. If it stops jamming, it's gonna be the ammo. If it continues jamming, it's probably the gun. Once that is settled, if it's still jamming come back on and we can look at what may be the cause.

Good luck! [:)]
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    Did anybody bring up the subject
    of magazines.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Today, ran 150 rounds through, without a hitch. I did see some rough areas on the white .223 Rem ammo, so used a little sand paper on the case edge and knocked the edge off (could feel a burr with a finger). No problems. I looked at other boxes and they did not have that little bit of metal burr on them. So, that is one in a row!!! Time will tell. I never had to look at this with my Mini 14, it eats everything in front of it.

Until I have several sessions with no FTF, I will be a little wary.

Thanks for all the inputs.