In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Annealing question

notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭
edited November 2018 in Ask the Experts
Where in the sequence of case prep is annealing generally performed? What if I anneal cases that have already been prepped completely? Should I resize and trim or will annealing have that much of an effect on the cases. These are cases I size with a neck sizing die.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lot of unknown variables? How many times, do you reload each fired case? Have you observed cracks, in the case mouths or necks of the reloaded brass? Do you use brass from different manufacturers, or just one brand?

I wouldn't be doing any annealing. Until you built up a data set, regarding the above points.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I generally do it on fired cases before any other steps. I like the dip in the lead pot, then drop the case in water procedure. Having a spent primer in place limits the lead level inside the case.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    They need to be annealed before doing any case prep other wise your not taking advantage of the process..
  • Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are going to anneal, you could clean the fired cases first, but otherwise don't do anything else prior to annealing. There are several different methods of annealing but whichever method you choose, be sure to anneal only the upper portion of the case. Annealing the primer end of the case can cause blown primers and other indications of excess pressure. Don't get the metal too hot. I used to stand the cases mouth up in a shallow pan of water, play a torch flame on the mouths then tip them over into the water to cool.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First, I suggest a regular annealing regimen. Too soon or too late in the reloading process doesn't make any difference if you have already started to see some cracks in some of the necks.

If you start now, but think you might see cracks in the near future, anneal before you size. Sizing is the most movement and work hardening of the brass. If you wait until after you size, there is a chance the brass will expand where you don't want it to. The caveat here is Lapua sends you annealed brass (new) and you won't have this issue.

It doesn't hurt anything to anneal correctly. You still have to watch your brass for growth after firing.