In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Henry lever 22 LR

asopasop Member Posts: 8,910 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2018 in Ask the Experts
Thing about buying one of these for one of my grandkids for Xmas. Is this a quality firearm or what? Opinions would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd post this on General, since you'll get more responses.....but to answer your question: Henry makes a fine rifle at the price point. I particularly like the Golden Boys.

That being said, there's a a bit of plastic in the internals and the parts are plated.

For a fun little plinker, Henry's are great.

When I picked out a rifle for my boy, I picked a CZ-455. Just another option for you to consider.
  • Options
    wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Purchased one for my son last christmas and have been really happy with it. Very accurate and slick feeding. Also a very reasonable price on the rifle when compared to other brands. I would not hesitate to buy any product from Henry.
  • Options
    JohnnyBGoodJohnnyBGood Member Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have two of them. I can't give you a range report because I just bought them to hang on the wall in my den. But I can say they are both very well made and show quality workmanship.

One is the standard brass model which I added a classic style scope because I thought it looked cool [8D]. The other is a limited edition Silverado.

EYTuP5q.jpg?1
  • Options
    kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dang it, man, those are some sharp looking rifles!
    I ran a box of ammo through my cousin's run-of-the-mill Henry today and it is an accurate, good quality gun. Well worth the money, in my opinion.
  • Options
    ZinderblocZinderbloc Member Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great guns. The first model H001 is perfect for kids. The octagon barrel models are a bit heavy for preteens IMO.
  • Options
    BigLoop22BigLoop22 Member Posts: 620 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    asop,

The design of the Henry H001-series rimfire leverguns is about 45 years old. It was designed by the late Louis Imperato, father of Henry's current president, Anthony Imperato. Erma produced them for Ithaca, which sold them as the Model 72. Later, Iver Johnson sold them as the "Wagon Master". Erma also sold their version. They all could be had in both .22LR & .22 Magnum. When Erma went belly-up, the Imperatos brought the manufacturing of those rifle to America.

I bought my first-ever rifle, the Henry Model H001L, in 2003, I have shot far in-excess of 10,000 rounds through it, and there appears to be no end to it. Since then, Henry has replaced all of the few plastic parts, that some early rifles had, with metal parts. Some of the metal parts are ZAMAK castings, and some of them are machined STEEL. The wood is American Walnut. The design was good, back in the Seventies, and it is still a good design, now with a lifetime warranty. Here are some pictures & articles, showing the Henry, and the older versions:

This image shows the guts of the Henry, after you remove the RECEIVER COVER:

HenryReceiverDiagram-1.jpg

Ithaca72Deluxe1976.jpg

Ithaca72ReviewPart1.jpg

Ithaca72ReviewPart2.jpg

...and, if you want to see a little more of the Henry rifle, then you can watch the maintainance videos, here:

https://www.henryusa.com/own-a-henry/henry-instructional-video-series/lever-action-model-h001-22lr/

edited November -1
    Mine is as smooth as a she mouses belly. I love it. I have a Model nine .22 scope for a mossberg I will part with. Probably eighty years old.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Interesting write up BigLoop22, thanks. The only things in guns I despise more than aluminium is pot metal and plastic. I have a Erma WWII 22 trainer - single shot that looks like a baby 98 Mauser, steel and wood quality construction.

Maybe with CNC we can return to the all milled steel construction that went to the way side due to labor costs. Plus it could open the path to new designs with better/lighter materials.
  • Options
    mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great post BigLoop I am also shopping for a grandsns first .22
    Good to know Henry ditched the plastic parts.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    smoooooooth actions...on the erma ithaca design...AND ...one can get an upgraded wood set that bolts right up and you keep yer old plain wood..sure would perk up a silverado ..think about $250 ??...got a couple henry plain jane 22 and would like a Frontier in 22M with 24" octagon....haven't got any info yet on someone actually doing this and seeing what they got ??
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,910 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many thanks guys. I bought one from "Fleet Farm" a store that just opened in our area. Walmart had one for $300 but were out of stock! Went to FF and asked if they would meet the price and the guy said no problem. He told me to go and fill out a CC application at the front desk as it would entitle me to a 20% discount on my first purchase! I told him I had a 10% coupon from one of the local papers and he they would honor that also. Total came to $210 + tax and background check fee. I asked him if I could buy 2 for that amount and after got done laughing he said no[:D].