In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

old shot shell id help please...

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2018 in Ask the Experts
Recently was given an old box of 16 gauge 2.5" Winchester Ranger shot shells. The box was in poor shape, and only had 5 original shells that came with it, and a few extra single odd balls. The one that caught my eye was an old 16 gauge orange(?) high base with 3 crimps paper shell with a roll crimp and paper card insert in the end. There is no visible stamping on the outside of the hull due to wear. However, on the paper end insert it appears to be a 2 3/4 dram load with 7/8 oz of number 7's. The part that I'm not familiar with is on the base of the brass it is stamped Winchester on top, and repeater on the bottom, with No. on the left side, and 16 on the right side. This is the common way that most shotgun hulls are labeled now days. The part that really caught my eye was that there was some stamping around the primer itself. It was stamped W.R.A.CO. on one half of the primer, and NEW No4 on the other half. The stamping was so small that it took a magnifying glass to read it. Never seen one and thought that it was way cool. Any idea as to the vintage of these type of stamped primers? TIA... Todd

edit: Sorry guys I don't know how to post pictures. But, if anyone wants a picture let me know and I can send you one to be posted..

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have some primers somewhere from the 20's perhaps earlier that are WRA and 2 toned copper/brass/nickel. IIRC they are mostly rifle/pistol sizes but there might be some shotgun and odd balls like for the 22 CF. Haven't looked for them in years.

added
    Searching old Winchester shotgun shells this collector site came up. Has some good pic's of shells with those two toned primers plus dates. Very interesting collection.

http://www.cartridge-corner.com/winch.htm
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    After 1931 when Olin took over Winchester. Presumably prior to 1963 when it became USARC. That narrows it a little.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    After 1931 when Olin took over Winchester. Presumably prior to 1963 when it became USARC. That narrows it a little.

The only problem is, it did not become USRAC until 1980...and then it only pertained to the manufacture of the firearms, not ammunition, IIRC.