In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Savage 94b Ordnance Marked

SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
edited December 2018 in Ask the Experts
Saw one today and the stamp looks correct. The only thing I could find online was another person who had one. Anyone know anything about them,

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There appears to have been several sighting of so marked 94b's over the years. Some folks claim they were loaners at military gun clubs, other say they served and lastly they are faked stamp.

I think they are rare no matter the explanation, would I pay extra for one? Well maybe a few bucks just because it took a few minutes to stamp it. As a shooter I don't think it adds anything
  • Options
    ampartsamparts Member Posts: 140 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The military marked these as ownership marks. They were available in certain areas for hunting by troops. Issued through the armory after paperwork with special services. While usually shotguns have seen ones in 30-30. More common in remote areas and countries that did not usually allow private firearms. In remote areas of Turkey you could bring game to the mess sgt for processing and good eating for all.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it was one of the early ones? With a Tenite, (plastic), stock. There might be a chance it's the real McCoy.

Had one of the early Stevens 22-410's. With Tenite furniture, years back. With U.S. air force markings. During the late 40's, Savage sold the 94's, with the Tenite stock. Under the Springfield/Stevens name.

If you could describe the "stamp". It might be able to shed some light on the matter.

Recently I have run across, a number of .22 pistols. With "U.S" markings. Believe that they were bought, for recreational target shooting. The 94 might have been purchased for similar purposes?
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had a 94 US marked for several years. They are real but hard to tell what their actual purpose was. Didn't pay a big premium for it and it fits well in my military collection as well as my Stevens collection. Still looking for a Model 24 US marked.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by slumlord44
    I've had a 94 US marked for several years. They are real but hard to tell what their actual purpose was. Didn't pay a big premium for it and it fits well in my military collection as well as my Stevens collection. Still looking for a Model 24 US marked.

I researched the Stevens 22-410, when I owned it. They were used in the 40's. Until the U.S.A.F., adopted the M-4 & M-6 survival rifles, in the early 50's. This is when Savage had already started making their Model 24, which was just the Stevens 22-410 under a different name.

Unless you have definite proof. That a Savage Model 24, with U.S.A.F. markings is the real McCoy. It's probably a fake. And I wouldn't buy it.
  • Options
    SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was just told they were used to clear geese of the runways early on. As they started making them in 1929 and these are "b" suffix I would say they go way back perhaps to the 40's?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Anyone familiar with the Ranger 101.16 .22 semiauto that looks like an M1 Garand theat is military marked? I have one that some people also call a fake. I think it is real but not sure what they were used for.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Anyone familiar with the Ranger 101.16 .22 semiauto that looks like an M1 Garand theat is military marked? I have one that some people also call a fake. I think it is real but not sure what they were used for.

If your talking about this one? It was sold by Savage, as the Springfield Model 87-M. You have the Sears version of the same rifle. It was made for folks, who wanted a 22 rifle that looked like military issue.

If it is marked with a "U.S."? Likely it was purchased by special services, for recreational use by the G.I.'s.

A number of gun manufacturers after the 2nd World War. Made military looking .22 rifles for sale to civilians. Very doubtful to me, that any Sears Ranger .22, was used for military training by anybody. In the U.S. military.

IMG_0528.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks. That makes sense and is what I thought it might have been use for. A few "experts" on other sites say the martial markings are faked. Not according to my local military experts.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What woul you consider definite proof that the Savage 24 USAF marked gun is the real McCoy?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What woul you consider definite proof that the Savage 24 USAF marked gun is the real McCoy?

I sold my Stevens 22-410, with Tenite furniture. 3 years ago. It was marked on the bottom of the receiver. Just forward of the trigger guard, with a serial number and "U.S.A.F". It's hard for me to remember, with my senioritis[xx(]. But i think the serial was highfenated, with the first 2 digits being "49".