In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Old Contender Vs. G2 interchangeability

tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
edited January 2019 in Ask the Experts
Just wondering if any friends on here can attest to the interchangeability between the older Thompson Center Contenders frames, and barrels, Vs. the New G2.

What are the issues if there are any?

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From Wikipedia

"The original Contender is now known as the generation one (G1) Contender and was replaced by the G2 Contender in 1998. The new design is dimensionally the same as the original Contender, but uses an Encore-style trigger group. Due to the changes in the trigger mechanism, and to differences in the angle of the grip relative to the boreline of the gun, the buttstocks and pistol grips are different between the G1 and G2 Contenders and will not interchange. The G2 uses essentially the same barrels and fore-ends as the original Contender and barrels will interchange, with the only two exceptions being the G2 muzzleloading barrels, which will only fit the G2 frame, and the Herrett barrels/fore-ends, which are specific for use only on a G1 frame.[9]"
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    Just wondering if any friends on here can attest to the interchangeability between the older Thompson Center Contenders frames, and barrels, Vs. the New G2.

What are the issues if there are any?

Having bought my T/Cs well before the whole "pistol to a rifle and back to a rifle" loosened up I have a half dozen frames - a pistol dedicated in the original etched "Catamount" Contender, G2 and Encore and the same in rifle configuration.

The item most often swapped out are barrels and I've found that interchangeability is pretty good, original to G2, using split locking bolts. Pretty sure Mike Bellm (who used to live down the road from me in Merlin, OR - small world) sells them as T/C (owned by S&W) may not sell them to mere mortals. The most often tell of them not quite fitting is that the hammer won't cock due to the safety not being engaged because the bolt is s bit too proud up top. I've used 600 grit "wet n' dry" to correct the fit, the difference between them working or not is often so very slight. Mike sells extra power bolt springs and that may help a bit too.

Grips are often switched out and the best one I've used by far on larger calibers is the rubber backed Pachmayer wood grip made for the original Contender. On its own it won't fit the G2 or Encore. But they can be made to fit by hogging out the grip frame channel and relieving a bit of wood behind the trigger and the hammer spur. Not all that difficult to do and makes it much easier to shoot the 405 Winchester, 45/70 , 350 Rem Mags and 375 H&H loadings.

Going the rifle route, you'll have to pay close attention to forearm attaching - screw distances and types, barrel channels. On the Contender, Super 14 handgun barrel screw hole spacing is also used on their rifles. Not sure about the Encore.

Match Grade Machine is a good source for info too.