In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 1895 Reassembly

dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
edited January 2019 in Ask the Experts
I have a "tang safety" model Winchester 1895 rifle with a problem. I've disassembled and am reassembling, haven't solved the problem. I think it's related to the two piece trigger, rebounding hammer and mainspring.

I find plenty of "regular" 1895 reassembly tutorials on line, can't find any on the tang safety models - does anyone have instructions or a source? In general, when I pull the trigger the hammer doesn't drop, nor does the firing pin block move out of the way to allow the FP to move forward. I suspect the mainspring assembly "lower leg" is the problem and that I've previously reassembled incorrectly.

As a special treat, I dropped the magazine and it self-disassembled. How do I reassemble? Can't figure out the positioning of the pin and sleeve and the spring.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Best I can do is say blow up the schematic. Dad worked on lots of things including watches/cocks - he never had a schematic. We did a lot of basket case stuff (cross word puzzles for a 3D mind) - "It will (usually) only fit back together one way correctly"

http://www.winchesterguns.com/content/dam/winchester-repeating-arms/support/parts-and-service/parts/12-arn-432-winchester-1895.pdf

I like the 95. I have wanted to have a take down in 30-40 AI for a long time. Dad had a regular one in 405 W, I didn't get to shoot it much as a kid at a buck a pop for ammo. Later I borrowed a Lyman mold and bought the bullet sizer. I think I still have cast bullets from the 70's.

Teddy R. "the 405 is good medicine for lions"

added I don't have time to watch it right now but maybe in the 20 minutes he will do the magazine - no tang safety on this 95.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsE34r_Mk1I

I scanned the comments I wondered before about slave pins being required for re-assembly - "Lionel moi sorry, I lost the footage of the assembly. for magazine reinstall into the receiver, I actually had to make a pin to hold the spring and lifter in place. it was a short pin the same length as the width of the magazine. once in the receiver, I used a smaller punch from the right side to knock that short pin out toward the left, and then the punch was keeping everything aligned.#65279;"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks. This helps - I usually use Numrich but they don't have a schematic of the "new & improved" ([:o)]) 1895.

Problem I have with the magazine is that there's two pins, one hollow and one solid, and I ca't for the life of me figure out how the hell that carrier should sit inside the magazine. Damn thing has only 4 parts - the body, the carrier and those two pins - and it has me stuck. My Winchester 88 wasn't this much trouble to reassemble. [V]
  • Options
    Jim RehmJim Rehm Member Posts: 102 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks. Am having no luck figuring this out, neither the magazine nor why the FP block isn't working or the odd trigger feel. There's no step by step that I can find on line, and this seems so damn simple.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    Best I can do is say blow up the schematic. Dad worked on lots of things including watches/cocks - he never had a schematic. We did a lot of basket case stuff (cross word puzzles for a 3D mind) - "It will (usually) only fit back together one way correctly"

http://www.winchesterguns.com/content/dam/winchester-repeating-arms/support/parts-and-service/parts/12-arn-432-winchester-1895.pdf

I like the 95. I have wanted to have a take down in 30-40 AI for a long time. Dad had a regular one in 405 W, I didn't get to shoot it much as a kid at a buck a pop for ammo. Later I borrowed a Lyman mold and bought the bullet sizer. I think I still have cast bullets from the 70's.

Teddy R. "the 405 is good medicine for lions"

added I don't have time to watch it right now but maybe in the 20 minutes he will do the magazine - no tang safety on this 95.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsE34r_Mk1I

I scanned the comments I wondered before about slave pins being required for re-assembly - "Lionel moi sorry, I lost the footage of the assembly. for magazine reinstall into the receiver, I actually had to make a pin to hold the spring and lifter in place. it was a short pin the same length as the width of the magazine. once in the receiver, I used a smaller punch from the right side to knock that short pin out toward the left, and then the punch was keeping everything aligned.#65279;"

MosinVirus is on the 1911 Forum, where I also posted the question, and he gave me some good info on magazine reassembly. I'd watched the video previously, especially the magazine removal bit, and kind of figured it out. But reviewing here spotted the main thing I was doing wrong.

Many thanks [;)]