In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shooting ear protection recommendations

penguinpenguin Member Posts: 596
edited January 2019 in Ask the Experts
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use both when I shoot full tilt rounds threw my model 53 S&W Jet. Plugs only are fine with cast bullet loads.

If I'm coaching someone I tend to use muffs - easy on and off so we can talk. Plugs get all nasty putting them in and out with firearm handling hands.

Don't forget so eye protection too. I often wear a thin leather glove when shooting pistols of recoil with sharp checkered grips - hard to do good work with the distraction of a bleeding hand.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I prefer electronic ear muffs for all but the LOUDEST guns, when I have to add custom molded silicone plugs.

If coaching, it's best to give the electronic ear muffs to the student.

Neal
  • Options
    penguinpenguin Member Posts: 596
    edited November -1
  • Options
    spiritsspirits Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good fitting ear plugs like the ones used when weed eating and mowing the grass plus good muffs just in case you remove muffs at the range and there is still shooting going on.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ear protection has to be comfortable enough to wear all the time at the range and quiet enough to do some good.
    NRR in the 20s just don't cut it.
    As said, the student gets the electronics, and if you really care about your hearing, muffs over plugs.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hearing Protection devices have a number- the NRR- Noise Reduction Rating. The higher the number, the better. Muffs can run about 20-24. Ear plugs have varying numbers, about the highest is the foam plug. When they are PROPERLY inserted, can run as high as about 32-33. If you wear BOTH plugs and muffs, you cannot just add the numbers (They are a logarithm, and you can't add logs) A 23 muff and a 32 plug would give you about 41 dB reduction. Nothing is total, since you get some sound by bone conduction.

I wear electronic muffs when shooting anything. When I shoot noisy high powered rifles, I wear both. Also wear muffs with mower, leaf blowers, chainsaw, or using any power tool for more than 1 minute.
  • Options
    notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just had an MRI done today. They gave me plugs and muffs. I'd have to say the muffs were better than any of mine that were designed for shooting. The tech said they were $4.00. MRI's make serious racket. I should have asked more about them.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use electronic muffs over custom plugs from my audiologist. Can't get foam plugs in the narrow left ear channel.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First and foremost, you cannot correct your hearing after it's been damaged. It can be enhanced after some minimal damage but you never get back what you have lost. Every shot you take without protecting your hearing results in damage whether you perceive it or not. Always wear some protection.

Because I shoot with increased frequency, I wear custom fitted plugs and add muffs if it's going to be a long session. But there are kits you can use to make similar plugs at home if you want. Basic muffs are excellent however, during competitions, I wear the electronic muffs in order to hear commands while on the range.

Best.