In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ithaca model 37 ?

RadarRadar Member Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭
edited January 2019 in Ask the Experts
I have a couple of model 37s one is a normal 12 ga. pre WWII that i got from a guy that bought it right before going into the service and never even shot a box of shells thru it and it looks mint.It has no ser. # but has a rubber recoil pad that is very hard now. My other is a model 37 riot with U.S. and ord.bomb no ser.# and rubber recoil pad that dont look like it fits the stock right,also the forearm and butt stock are checkered.Would that be right or should it just have plain wood and a hard black butt plate ?

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know that I have ever seen a 37 without a serial #.

cut and pasted "All Model 37's had serial numbers before they left the factory. The older guns have the number stamped in the face of the receiver where the barrel & magazine tube are threaded in. Also, a matching number is stamped on the underside of the barrel."

https://ithacagun.com/serial-numbers/

Issue guns were often kept in service by armorers - whatever it takes was the rule.

I have dad's from back in the 60's, never looked it up to see when it was made. I had one of my own for a while. The magazine tube is a tight fit. I had to buy a MEC super sizer that used a collet to resize the rim otherwise many time reloaded ammo or they would stick in the throat of the tube if I tried to fill the magazine. One in the barrel and one in the tube would work.

I switch to 870's and put up with the rattle of the looser tube. The easy extended mag tube was a nice plus.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Below is a Ithaca military shotgun, off the NRA site. The forearm and butt, aren't checkered. The Blue Book has the exact serial numbers of the Ithaca trench Shotguns, that were used by the U.S. military. Once you have located your serial number. You can check if yours is a original W W II Ithaca.

lede_ithacamodel37_2-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Charlie,i found the ser. #s The riot is R 713xx and the other is 1562xx it does have a simmons rib but would that have been added because the numbers dont seem to line with the story on the standard gun.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Radar
    Thanks Charlie,i found the ser. #s The riot is R 713xx and the other is 1562xx it does have a simmons rib but would that have been added because the numbers dont seem to line with the story on the standard gun.

Your Ithaca isn't in the correct serial number range, for the W W II trench guns. Might have been used as a gunnery trainer, though?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Rufe. i seen where some may have been made for Nam,plain barrel,hunting scene and checkering on the stock,could be in that range and then maybe it would have had a rubber recoil pad.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Rufe. i seen where some may have been made for Nam,plain barrel,hunting scene and checkering on the stock,could be in that range and then maybe it would have had a rubber recoil pad.

According to the BB. The Ithaca's used in VN, were Parkerized. Serial number range, 1,000-23,500, with a "S" prefix.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Per the book by W. C. Snyder, your R 713xx gun started out as a solid rib gun made in 1941 (I have R 712xx in my collection).

The last gun made in 1946 was #115350 and the last gun made in 1947 was 157150. So your 1562xx is a 1947 gun unless you put one too many x's in your number. 1562x is a prewar gun made in 1939. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Ambrose. Yes the riot does have a solid rib and 18 1/4 (to the receiver) barrel. So since it was pressed into service it is ok with the hunting scene,checkered forearm and butt stock with a rubber recoil pad ? So they just cut the barrel off then ? (It was marked Mod.)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Ambrose. Yes the riot does have a solid rib and 18 1/4 (to the receiver) barrel. So since it was pressed into service it is ok with the hunting scene,checkered forearm and butt stock with a rubber recoil pad ? So they just cut the barrel off then ? (It was marked Mod.)

I don't know if the shotguns used for gunnery training, were marked with the military markings you note? It definitely wouldn't have had, it's barrel cut down 18 1/4". Likely this was done after the war. By some previous owner. Who was trying to make it more practical. for personal protection.

EDIT #1,

Got this link off the net. It shows that the AAF gunnery shotguns were marked similar to those on your shotgun. Delete the asterisks to go to link.

I guess none of the other Moderators were on duty when you posted this. GB doesn't like us posting competitors auctions sites and we all know this.