In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

advise on cost

drachdrach Member Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
edited November 2001 in Ask the Experts
I've been looking at a browning Hipower at a pawn shop for the last couple of months, from it's serial number it was manufactured in 1996, bore seems bright and clear with no pits but the slide has deep rust pits also pits of rust even on the hammer, no papers with it and it does not even have the original factory magazine with it. The pawn shop has it priced at $479, when I asked today what the best price would be I was told $425. I still think that is to much, am I being unreasonable.
Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentis telum est ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool in the killer's hands") ~~ Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)

Comments

• Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,017 ******
    edited November -1
    Right on, dano. Condition is everything. The pawnbroker probably lent $100 or less on the gun, or bought it for $200 or less. I think maybe $375 is a bit high for a pitted up Hi-Power.
    Certified SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of the General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com, the premier gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net Jesus is Lord!
  • Options
    luger01luger01 Member Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Drach-Pass on it, or pay $200-$225 max. The seller will either have it a long time, or else will find a total idiot to overpay for it.While the pistol may be in fine working cond., the badly pitted slide, hammer, and maybe internals will cost plenty to put right. Many aftermarket mags are junk as well. I only use factory or Mec-Gar mags in my HiPower. Unless I could take the pistol apart and check it out, or have a reputable gunsmith do it, I would NOT buy it unless it was very, very cheap.
  • Options
    drachdrach Member Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you all. The only reason I was considering it was that I have a Hipower clone like it a lot also have dies and brass for 9mm. I feel comfortable with the Hipower as a carry gun due to the capacity, the clone I have is inherited, so it is not registered in my name, not a major problem, but still could be sticky if it was NICS checked, would like to carry something with my name on it. My first impression as to cost was to max at $300. I appreciate all of your comments.
    Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentis telum est ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool in the killer's hands") ~~ Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
  • Options
    BlueTicBlueTic Member Posts: 4,072
    edited November -1
    Considering all the parts you discribe are available - 250-300.00 is very reasonable. You can fix it up for less than 50.00-75.00 and still have a $400.00 value firearm. I would not pay more than 400.00 for any used Hi-Power unless it is in exceptional shape. I have had the P9R FEG very good copy.