In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Busted Carcano- Now what?

jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
edited November 2001 in Ask the Experts
I've been wanting to post this for two days, but I've got a humdinger of a cold and this is the first time I've felt well enough, golldarnit.I bought two 38 Carcanos from a local store for a total of $130. One is a 7.35 Finnish contract in great shape, nearly mint. THis is the gun I wanted. The other is a 6.5 Italian which I knew had something wrong with it, but decided to take it on as a project. The bolt wouldn't close. I figured, hey it's a spring or something, no problem, but the problem is far more severe!The right rear reciever wall is bent out slightly which throws the traverse of the bolt off enough to prevent closing. So now I seem to have three options; opinions please?1. I could probably heat the reciever with a torch, and bend it back into shape with a vice. This gives me the willies even thinking of it, but as the bolt handle does not rest on the right rear reciever wall, this part is not a load bearing part of the action, and it seems to me that heating it wouldn't weaken anything critical.2. I could look around at gunshows for a reciever and replace it, as the rest of the gun is in very nice shape; as the barrel I have is functional and already has the chamber cut, a gunsmith would only have to spin the new barrel on and headspace it, which would be in the $20-$30 range I think. I won't buy one through the mail as I am not going to pay transfer fees and shipping on it; it wouldn't be cost effective. This solution would certainly restore the gun to functional status, but could get a bit pricey.3. Sell off the gun for parts minus the reciever; I'll certainly get the $30 I paid for the thing.Opinions?
"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conference in 1899.

Comments

• Options
    oneshyoneshy Member Posts: 417
    edited November -1
    Don't heat it. Look for a receiver or parts you need. If unsuccessful you can certainly get your money back as a parts gun. Call Numrich 845-679-4867 to see if they have one presently available. The receiver is listed for 19.95 but are not always available. You will need an FFL transfer if you order through the mail or internet.[This message has been edited by oneshy (edited 11-10-2001).][This message has been edited by oneshy (edited 11-10-2001).]
  • Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wish I had this on my bench to look at it. Option #1--As a general rule one doesn't heat receivers for fear of ruining the heat treatment and weakening it with anticipated disasterous consequences. If one had a heat treating furnace, and the know how, they could correct the situation; but it's expensive to have it done by one in the know; and sometimes they're guessing! The critical area, of course, is really the receiver ring. I'm assuming that the problem is somewhere to the rear of the ring, along the bolt raceway, or near the back. One might successfully heat it by using a liberal (hate that word) application of Brownell's Heat Stop Paste, both inside and outside the receiver, between the problem and the receiver ring. Also, you might be able to cold bend it by clamping the receiver ring (not by the barrel) in a large, heavy duty vise, inserting a steel rod of approx. the same size as the bolt into the rear of the receiver, and then smacking it in the desired direction; or smacking the area of the deformity in toward the rod--as the case might be. Metal has a memory, and it might not take too much force. To clamp it without marring the receiver ring you would need to have something round on the inside and flat on the outside, like an oak wood block about 3 1/2 or 4 inches square drilled to the diameter of the receiver ring in the middle, and then cut into halves. Option #2--you may find the gunsmith's services for changing barrels and adjusting headspace if needed a little more expensive than your estimate. Option #3--you're there anyway if Option #1 fails.
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its a Carcano.Dont put too much work or money in it.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1) Jonk it2) Lathe turn a bar of the largest diameter that will pass through the receiver ring. Turn a tapered section on the rod. Put moly grease on it. Then drive it through. Bang on the receiver with a lead or copper hammer where it hangs up. It could also be possible that the receiver is twisted from spinning out the barrel.
  • Options
    robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think it would make a neat lamp stand with very little work and almost no cost, like he said, it is a Carcano.