In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Busted Carcano (bent reciever) update

jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
edited November 2001 in Ask the Experts
About a week ago I posted that I got two carcanos for $130. I shot the 7.35 and am pleased with it, but I noted that the 6.5 was not useable as the right rear reciever wall was bent; this forced the bolt out of the track that engages the sear, and would't permit it to close at all. I got several suggestions, ranging from lathe cutting a metal bar to the correct diameter, inserting it in the reciever, and cold hammering it with a brass hammer, to not wasting my time on a Carcano. I kind of took a middle road. Not having a brass hammer and not caring about the finish (sucks anyway) I had someone hold the barrel, while I rested the reciever on an anvil. I hit it several times with a five pound sledge, figuring at worst, I would ruin it- and not caring. Whaddya know, the metal did have a memory! By the third or fourth whap, the reciever was back to more or less original shape. No cracks or nothing, and the bolt now shuts and fires properly, though it is a bit sticky yet; I can clean that up with a dremel tool. So, any guesses as to whether or not it is safe to shoot? I noted before that this part of the reciever is NOT load bearing in a Carcnao, and the front part of the reciever is fine. I'm thinking of tying it to a tree and firing about 5 rounds via 30 foot string, going progressively higher, until the max load is reached. If it survives, I will assume it it more or less safe. If it blows, no harm done- so long as I am safely away! Or do you think this is not needed? Thanks in advance!
"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conference in 1899.

Comments

• Options
    wilmamaewilmamae Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Those things were junk when new. Why on earth would anyone risk shooting one. My eyesight means more to me.
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jonk! I'm suprised at you!What about the tree? Did you ever think about its feelings? stir, stir, stir!Feelings shmeelings, what the heck! Be sure to stand on the other side or behind another tree, that stuff can fly a long way some times ... be safe!
    GUN CONTROL: If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    XracerXracer Member Posts: 1,990
    edited November -1
    It really isn't worthing fixing.Polish it up nicely, hang it on the wall, and tell your amazed friends that your great-uncle Charlie took it off Mussolini's dead body.To cement it's authenticity, take it to a gunsmith and have it engraved: "To Benito....Happy Birthday....Love Clara"
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Hey, thanks for the advice. You know, I'm still gonna fire it, but I'm not going to be anywhere near it when I do. I'll do it via string from behind a dirt embankment. I'm just curious now to see if it will work. I think I'll sell it then as "non-shooter" or "wall hanger", advertising that if anyone wants to fire it, they should have a gunsmith check the reciever. I still would welcome any more input though!
    "...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conference in 1899.
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hate to join in on knocking your rifle,but the above post are correct.I had one when I was a young man and paid more for a box of Norma ammo than I paid for the rifle.It keyholed at 30 yards and had no safety.Italians make great Ferraris, but military rifles are another story.Good luck on what ever you decide.
  • Options
    J.JohnJ.John Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess you guys know that you are knocking a highly accurate rifle that assisinated one of our presidents at umphteen thousand yards? And there is thousands of pages of Congressional testemony to back this up.
  • Options
    robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jonk, I'll send you 10.00 if you send me a picture of this rifle with the receiver cut in half, just so I know you wont hurt yourself.
    SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would still make that snug fitting mandrel,drive it in place and beat on the tight spotsavoiding the receiver ring. The receiver ring is the structural part of receivers having forward locking lugs and will contain the forces of firing, even if the rest of the receiver were cut away.A problem could exist if the bolt were not centered because of a dent in the rear or a bend in the receiver. It could result in only one locking lug seating properly.You can check this by degreasing the rear of the lugs, applying Magic Marker and observing if it rubs off both lugs.
  • Options
    luger01luger01 Member Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jonk,Before you make a wallhanger out of it, or sell it as a non-shooter, please consider making it truly inoperable so down the road someone doesn't decide to shoot it.Drill a hole through the receiver and barrel so it can't be used. I would also drive a pin through that hole so a round can't be chambered. Another good way is to fill the chamber and barrel with a product like liquid steel. Best idea is to sell it to some liberal who wants to see it cut up. It's a shame the HUD program is gone now!