In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Anyone has experience with AMT Hardballer Longslide Pistol?

CA BlueCA Blue Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
edited November 2001 in Ask the Experts
This pistol seems to be out of production but I found 2 online stores having it in stock and NIB. The main thing I am concerned with is that will it work out of the box without any tuning...I have no experience with 1911 type pistols. I have only owned Brownings and HKs. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    gunnutgunnut Member Posts: 724 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I owned one yrs ago, glad I still dont. It was a royal pain in the ars, spent alot of money having it "tuned" only to still have it stove pipe etc. Save and Buy a Kimber, or a Colt.
    ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Early AMT pistols were certainly variable in quality. Some were good, some were not. The early ones were poorly heat-treated and were often soft. As the first stainless M1911-pattern pistol, there were also galling problems, now long resolved. The pistols are now being made in Sturgis, South Dakota. The current pistols seem to be well made, and are fully guaranteed. As far the suggestion to go with another brand, I assume it is the 7-inch barrel that has attracted you to the AMT Longslide. (That is what attracted me to one almost 25 years ago.) There is no other production M1911-pattern pistol of which I am aware that has a 7-inch barrel. (There are many 6-inchers for much more money.) Therefore, you either give up the 7-inch barrel, or take a chance. I love shooting that long barrel so much that I would not be afraid to try one. Give Galena Industries a call in Sturgis and discuss your concerns with them.
  • Options
    CA BlueCA Blue Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just what I am looking for. Pros and cons on this pistol. Thanks guys. I will contact Galena Inc before buying one. I have become less brand name conscious recently after shooting a CZ 75B. I guess most gun designs are fine. Quality control is where it counts.
  • Options
    AntiqueDrAntiqueDr Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good luck contacting Galena. Website down and phone disconnected.....
    We buy, sell and trade quality guns and scopes!Ask us about Shepherd Scopes!Visit our website at www.ApaxEnterprises.com
  • Options
    AlerionAlerion Member Posts: 61 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Galena has apparently gone belly up. And if my new AMT Backup (built recently enough to be marked Sturgis) is any example they deserve to be out of business. I guess the "Lifetime Warranty" meant the lifetime of the company!Tom
  • Options
    boucherboucher Member Posts: 49 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's too bad! My dad and I have .22 automags, and it is my favorite gun to shoot next to my S&W model 28. I ordered parts a few weeks ago so it must have happened recently (I got the parts). I tried their website yesterday and couldn't get in so I was wondering what was going on. Oh well!
  • Options
    punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    Hey Judge, I thought my Randalls were the first production Stainless 1911s.
  • Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Punchie:I recall that the AMT was introduced in about 1977, and my memory on Randalls places their introduction in the early 1980s, but I have not verified that recollection. What is your recollection? (I have not gone to my archives and searched the Shooter's Bible and Gun Digest catalog sections to find the first reference, which then usually places the year of introduction a year before the cover date on the annual.)
  • Options
    AntiqueDrAntiqueDr Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    AMT Hardballer debuted in 1977. Randall began production in June of 1983.
    We buy, sell and trade quality guns and scopes!Ask us about Shepherd Scopes!Visit our website at www.ApaxEnterprises.com