In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S & W Revolver Value?

chesuschesus Member Posts: 145 ✭✭✭
edited November 2001 in Ask the Experts
I have 2 S & W Revolvers I would like to sell and I was wondering if anyone could give me an estimate on their value. First one is a 22lr with a 7 1/2 inch barrel. Second is a .357 Magnum with a 5 1/8 inch barrel. I don't see any model numbers specified anywhere on the gun; if there is something else I can verify about the pistols let me know.
Taste my Wind Fist!

Comments

• Options
    luger01luger01 Member Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    chesus-Value has almost everything to do with condition. No one can give you a value without knowing the condition of the revolvers.As for model, look in the crane area when the cylinder is out. You'll see some model numbers there (for later guns). If there isn't something like 27-1, 19-3, etc., then post a detailed description of the markings on the guns. I, or some other S&W revolver collector, can then help you identify and value your guns.Best,luger01
  • Options
    chesuschesus Member Posts: 145 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ok I found the numbers, the .357 is a 19-4 and the 22lr is a 17-3. Both guns are in excellent condition, my dad had them stored in his safe for years and neither recieved much use.
    Taste my Wind Fist!
  • Options
    luger01luger01 Member Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    chesus-Your model 17-3 was made between 1967 and 1977. It has what is known as a "pinned barrrel", a feature that S&W collectors like to see. In excellent condition, it should bring about $300. They are wonderful guns, quite accurate and fun to shoot.Yout model 19-4 was made beetween 1977 and 1982. Also a pinned barrel model, but there were many model 19s made, so the value is a bit lower, $275. Many older 19s have been "shot loose" and buyers will want to know if there is any "end shake". This is where the cylinder is able to move forwards and backwards while in the frame. Play can be removed by a good gunsmith, but it does mean that the gun has had a considerable number of magnum rounds as a diet and the frame has stretched a bit. If you gun has any end shake, the price will drop to the $225 range.Hope this info helps.
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    chesus,Double check your barrel lengths. Measure them from the muzzel end of the cylinder, not the front of the frame. I think you have a K-22 Masterpiece (17-3) with a 8-3/8" barrel. It is worth $275 to $325 in good to excellent condition. If it has the full under lug around the ejector rod, you can add about $40 more.The other I think is a Combat Magnum (19-4) with a 6" barrel. It will sell for around $225 to $275. If it is nickel instead of blue, you can add another $20.Both are K frame S&W revolvers. Both are high quality guns. The model 19 may have either a square butt grip, or a round butt grip. The model 17 is a square butt, so if the grips will interchange, they are both square butts. Both are discontinued now, and there were plenty of each made, so they will probably never be true collectors, but the personal value of being your fathers should mean something to you. They will appreciate in value as the years go by.If you decide to sell them, e-mail me at dheffley@gte.net and I would be interested in buying them.
    Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE![This message has been edited by dheffley (edited 11-25-2001).]