In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

M14 or M1a

RobbieRRobbieR Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited November 2001 in Ask the Experts
Is it worth the extra money to buy a Springfield over a polytech?

Comments

• Options
    nmyers@home.comnmyers@home.com Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not if you can get the Polytech for $200-300.Check out the review of Chinese M14 clones on the Fulton Armory website. Keep in mind that 1) they were imported by a company that hid its identity, 2) they were sold without any warranty, 3) there is no parts/service facility, and 4) many owners have thrown away every part but the receiver and paid to have it rebuilt with US-made parts.On the other hand, Springfield Armory rifles are guaranteed for life.You decide.Neal
  • Options
    calvertm@southwind.netcalvertm@southwind.net Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i owned a springfield m1a for about 10 years and you can't get a better rifle. i hate to knock someone else's product, but i have heard the reason the company kept their name hidden was because the guns had a small defect. they blew up sometimes. just a rumor, BUT!!? If i only had 1 gun and 1 gun only, for everything..homeprotection, target shooting, and hunting, it would be an m1a springfield. why don't i have it now? i can't see well enough to do it justice. good shooting. mike
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let me play for my team now.The ChiCom receivers are the best on the market,bar none.The main complaint you will hear about is soft bolts and around 20% do.If you have a $20 set of headspace gauges even that is not a pronlem.Just check it after each match.Complete new GI bolt are $45 from DCM.Ron Smith will heat treat the ChiCom if you want.ChiCom barrels are chromelined and last well.Even the trigger groups can be made to work very well-4 and 1/2 pound and crisp.I do replace the gas systems and rear sights automatically.Fulton's does very good,very overpriced work.Check and see how FEW Fulton guns were at Perry this year.ChiComs sell for around $500 and for $200 more at the most you can have twice the gun of an SAWarranty is a nonissue to me as nothing breaks on them.The ChiCom parts are forged unlike the commercial SA cast partsI have 2 ChiComs and 3 SA rifles .The ChiComs cost half as much at the minimum and are better battle and match rifles.That said,get the one you like the best.I have a preban SA supermatch to sell.cpermd@centurytel.netcpermd[This message has been edited by cpermd (edited 11-25-2001).]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    And for CalvertIn the age of the internet,pictures of Glock,S&W,Springfield M1As KaBooms have been posted and well publicized.You are a rumormongerer and gossip.Find a documented case of a ChiCom M14 KB and post it here.I have seen literally hundreds of THOUSANDS of ball ammo out them and never seen a KB or been able to document one.cpermd
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Still waiting on a documented KB in a ChiCom Calvin.cpermd
  • Options
    jeenyesjeenyes Member Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I owned one chicom m14 and had a friend who did. The only problem we both had was the sears did not catch. We replaced them with GI sears and problem solved. I would replace the op spring if your going to be depending on it. And buy some GI repack kits for the mags if you don't get GI mags.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    OK guys, don't make me show you how to play nice!US M1A's from Springfield are very pricey, yet all the time I've owned one it has functioned reliably and accurately if I do my part.Chicom knockoffs are serviceable enough, cheaper than the original(remind you of Japanese products after the war), yet I wouldn't own a reverse-engineered pair of socks if I could avoid it.As far as KB's in chicom arms,cper, I have most of an SKS I'll sell you cheap!
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    Don't mean to sound snotty or start any arguments or bad feelings,but no Chi-Com anything is the best on the market, bar none.The worst M1A (or any other) component Springfield ever made is incomparably superior to the best anything any Chinese slave laborer ever made,on his best day.Thank you very much.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Still waiting on a report of a ChiCom M14S KB$100 to the winner.These are the best receivers available in the US.I would dearly love to see the forged MKS that has been in "heat treat" for 14 months.Who gives a flying * about an SKS?I only do Rem 700s,1911s,ARs, and M14s.cpermd
  • Options
    edited November -1
    RocklobsterYou are incorrect on this one
  • Options
    RobbieRRobbieR Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1