In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Browning Superposed ?'s

rballirballi Member Posts: 770 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2001 in Ask the Experts
I just got a used Browning Superposed 20GA Vent Rib at a gunshow this weekend. I need some ID confirmations. I think it's a 1961 model with a round knob and long tang. The serial number is 23XXX, the knob is round with no flat area. The tang goes to about 3/4 of the way to the end of the knob. The Barrel markings are ** and **-, I think Imp Cyl and Mod? It has a Browning Recoil Pad, Single Gold Trigger and Barrel Selector. The ejectors only work when fired, and it will not fire the second time unless there is recoil. One side of the barrel says made in Belgium, the other says Montreal. It has normal, not too fancy scrolling on the reciever and small parts. I would say the gun is in about %85. It has some finish wear on the forearm, a couple of small dents in the wood, and normal wear on the reciever and barrel. Any other ID, comments, charecteristics, or value on the gun would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    AntiqueDrAntiqueDr Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1951 not 1961.Anyway, the gun should be a RKLT. Value in condition you describe would top out at around $1100.00. Chokes are modified/improved cylinder.
    We buy, sell and trade quality guns and scopes!Ask us about Shepherd Scopes!Visit our website at www.ApaxEnterprises.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info, but, I'm pretty sure it's a 1961. I found the serial numbers on the Browning web site. If it was a 12GA it would be a 1951; mine is a 20 and according to the Browning site, it's a 1961.What does RKLT stand for?I'll try and post some pics if I can.Roy
  • Options
    AntiqueDrAntiqueDr Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I must have glossed over the 20ga part, even though you mention it twice. RKLT stands for round knob, long tang.Adjust the value to $1200 tops.
    We buy, sell and trade quality guns and scopes!Ask us about Shepherd Scopes!Visit our website at www.ApaxEnterprises.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks again. Usually when I refer to the 'tang' of a gun, it's the top area. In the case of the Browning Superposed, is the long tang the top area where the safety is, or the bottom where the knob/grip is? Is there supposed to be a RKLT marking on the gun?
  • Options
    CAndres35CAndres35 Member Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just purchased 12ga,in almost identical condition as you describe for $700.00. I have never owned an over-under before and have not had a chance to shoot this one yet. seems odd that you have to shoot and get recoil to get the second barrel to fire. mine is modified/ic. gun is really tight and swings nicely. i hope to be able to hit a dove or two with it next year. dont have the serial # with me at work but maybe will get and find the year of mfg. carl