In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Whitney Double Barrel 12 Gauge

ahanksterahankster Member Posts: 253 ✭✭✭
edited November 2001 in Ask the Experts
I have recently come into possession of a very unique double barrel shotgun. It is marked Whitney Safety Firearms and has a patent date of Sept 2 1884. Since it is marked less than 350 I suppose it was made shortly thereafter. The unique thing about it is that it is a squeeze cock, box lock, internal hammers, double. There is a lever, similar to a lever action behind the double triggers, that when depressed allows the internal hammers to fall. It works perfectly. The barrels are damascus and in very poor shape, been damaged and not very good to look at. The receiver, trigger housing, forend and mechanism are in outstandingly great shape. The rear stock is in poor shape as well. I was wondering if anyone knew more about this gun and if maybe a more modern set of barrels, or some "looker" barrels can be found, a buttstock as well. Thanks for any help in advance.Hank

Comments

• Options
    pops401pops401 Member Posts: 616 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ely Whitney sr. owned it from 1798 to 1886, he sold to Winchester in 1888. Company was in New Haven Ct.Not much on the gun, but 50,000 were made. Listed as $100-$500 depending on cond. Keep trying,good luck.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info pops, I am posting pictures to see if it helps jog some memories. I am looking for a set of barrels and a butt stock.ThanksHank
  • Options
    pops401pops401 Member Posts: 616 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Florence Mass. does not fit what the book says.(2001 STANDARD CATALOG OF FIREARMS, and the blue book) It says that Whitney had the company from 1798 to 1886, and sold to Winchester in 1888.Possible someone in the interim.Sorry for the bad info, GOOD LUCK. Keep posted on it. pops
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Last try,thanks for any info in advance.Hank