In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Buying guns on the net ?

MrAngryMrAngry Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited November 2001 in Ask the Experts
If you are buying a gun from a private party in another state, what are the laws regarding the transaction? I want to buy a C&R rifle from a private party and I am also a private party. Does the gun have to go through a C&R or FFL on both ends or just on my end? Thanks, Joe

Comments

• Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe, that since you are in California, the laws in your state require FFL Dealer to FFL Dealer ... I'm not sure about C&R Dealer to FFL Dealer.This is something we're seeing more and more of around the country ... Dealers insisting on FFL to FFL only. I recently sold a rifle to a guy in Main, his dealers (2 that he works with) will only accept from another FFL. The current situation with regulations are bad enough, now we have individual dealers making rules too ...
    GUN CONTROL: If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have to wonder if this is FFL's not knowing the law, playing CYA, or just making sure an FFL gets a piece at each end of every interstate transaction.I carry a couple of signed copies of my FFL's license when I travel out of state to a show or where I might find something. Then, if I buy, I can hand them a copy and they know where it is going and get get it shipped right away.
  • Options
    spclarkspclark Member Posts: 408
    edited November -1
    The FFL holders are in business, plain & simple. The one I deal with won't accept an item unless it comes from an FFL holder's address, with the signed FFl copy included.It's their problem when they get audited, not mine; I don't mind paying them for their time & effort as long as I can still BUY firearms from other folks (call me an old fogey).Things aren't like they were when I was growing up, for sure; we CAN work hard for no MORE restrictions than those that already affect us all!
  • Options
    duster68duster68 Member Posts: 228 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Angry, I just went through the same situation with a CZ 83 pistol purchased via auction from a private party. He refused to send through an FFL on his end and my regular FFL refused to accept without. I called many people and none would. Fortunately, I found a gun shop in San Gabriel (don't know which part of CA you live) that agreed. It's actually legal for FFL in CA to accept from PP, but with the draconian gun laws we and gun dealers live under here in CA, most are being extremely cautious. Email me at directly at tchan@gusd.net if you'd like the name and number of the shop. It cost $50, including DROS, but it was worth it.
  • Options
    ref44ref44 Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You also need to be aware how your receiving FFL handles his sales tax...if he does. Some feel, since the gun is logged into their books, that they are liable for collecting sales tax on the entire price. But, if you make the deal and you send the money, you should argue that you made the out-of-state purchase, free of sales tax. He should pay sales tax only on his transfer fee, if applicable in your state.
  • Options
    MrAngryMrAngry Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ref44,I believe you have it right, if the gun is sent to an FFL directly from a private party, he would be selling the gun not the private party, so local sales tax would be collectible. If it goes from private party to FFL to FFL to private party, then it is an out of state private transaction and no tax is due. I read all this crap last night and can't believe the stupidity, if a criminal wants a gun he pays cash, and the other criminal hands him a gun and it's done, no waiting no hassle. So who do these laws govern, the honest citizen!! It's no wonder everyone that buys guns legally is so F*#king pissed off!! I guess a C&R license would pay for itself pretty quickly if you buy a lot of guns. Duster thanks but I have an FFL that charges $25 so if I pay the same amount to the sender to cover his FFLs fees it would still be $50 in transfers and everyones happy...except me and my lightened wallet;-{Joe