In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Stevens240 ??? Savage 240???whats i got???

ChaserChaser Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited November 2001 in Ask the Experts
I have a o/u .410 clearly marked SAVAGE 240 this is the split hammer double trigger wood stocked (not tenite) version of the Stevens 240 --I can in all my endless books of reference ,and email inquires , not find this gun listed as a Savage model anywhere.Anyone able to tell me the where when and how of my SAVAGE/STEVENS 240 O/U.410 [This message has been edited by Chaser (edited 11-28-2001).]

Comments

• Old hickoryOld hickory Member Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What you have is a great product from Savage Arms that was developed in the late forties.Gun books usually under value these at$175. When they sell around here (Illinois) they usually bring over $250 and sell quickly assuming at least 80% condition.
  • ChaserChaser Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Old Hickory, I know basicly what I have and the value Thank you , I paid $295.00 for it and you won't touch one in any decent condition around here for that anymore. My main question is all the listings are Stevens, I have never seen a 240 Savage,and mine is marked Savage. was hoping someone could shed some light on why if they made the 240 under the savage stamp why it is not in any of the books????
  • Old hickoryOld hickory Member Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Savage Arms and J. Stevens merged into The Savage Arms Company in the 30's If you look in the latest Blue book they have a Savage 240 .410 listed . This is a later reissue with a single trigger and barrels that are seperated.The two hammered .410 you have was made with a Tenite (plastic) stock or a decent walnut one after WW2
  • ChaserChaser Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Old Hickory, I know Savage and Steven became one, and I'm aware of the Savage model 242 single hammer single trigger,but mine is split hammers and double triggers, the gun was made to cock both hammers at the same time,so as if you needed a second shot you were ready to go,if not you had to lower the hammer, (a lot safer than trying to cock only one hammer) The cocking of both was necessary because the hammers were narrow and almost together as one,hence the slpit hammer designation, I have the 22nd ed. Blue Book right next to my left knee under the desk copyright 2001. I bought this peice from a old gunsmith in his 90s as Im always lookimg for something different,and had a profound soft spot for old .410s and .22s