In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need advice on buying a Marlin 22 Rifle

CA BlueCA Blue Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
edited November 2001 in Ask the Experts
Please help me choose between the Marlin 7000 and the Marlin 60. I already know all the specifications and really like the heavy barrel on the 7000. I need to know about the feeding reliability of the 7000. If its clip magazine feeds ammo like my AR 7, then I would go with the Marlin 60. Appreciate all input.

Comments

• Options
    ED PED P Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My first gun was a Marlin Model 60, but was a clip fed Model 60, not tube fed. Had no problems with the Marlin clip fed design, and I'm guessing the 7000 uses the same scheme, just heavier barrel and other upscale additions.
  • Options
    jeenyesjeenyes Member Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just my experince on marlin 22 autos. They don't even make a good paperweight. Bolt guns may be different.
  • Options
    Ronald J. SnowRonald J. Snow Member Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been a Marlin owner since 1959 and a Marlin dealer for the past 21 years. Buy none of the tubular feed, semi-autos, they are simply a problem waiting to happen. The clip feed guns are not a problem be they bolt or semi-auto. I have found all their rifles to be accurate.
  • Options
    gunnutgunnut Member Posts: 724 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own several marlin 22's, however they are all clip fed. Never had a problem out of any of them, and think they make a fine product. So does ruger, kimber, and the list goes on and on. For the money the marlin is a great gun.
    ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******
    edited November -1
    I have a Marlin 99 (now called a 60) tube fed .22 that I got new in 1964. Never a moment's trouble and very accurate.Of the two rifles you mentioned, get the one you like better, for either will serve you well.Tube fed Marlins work just fine. I have sold many, also many mag-fed. No complaints from any customers.
    Certified SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of the General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com, the premier gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net Jesus is Lord!
  • Options
    obelixobelix Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most Marlins work fine in any configuration. But let me recommend their lever actions (anything called a "39" nowadays; earlier models will want a collector's premium).This is a tube-fed lever-action with total reliability. You can mix any kind of .22 rimfire (minus magnum), and the rifle won't care. Marlin was making these long before Winchester -- actually the Real Winchester never did, except for very rare variations. The problems you might have with any semi-auto are elminated.
  • Options
    gravediggergravedigger Member Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recently bought a Marlin 795. As you probably know, it's the same as the 7000 minus the heavy barrel, plus it has open sights. I considered the 7000 and 60 also, but opted for the 795, because of price and the sights. I just bought a scope for it, so I should have gotten the 7000 after all. Long story, short (too late) it's a good gun, feeds great.-Marcus[This message has been edited by gravedigger (edited 11-29-2001).]
  • Options
    RSLINTIIRSLINTII Member Posts: 227 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the 14-18 tube feeder model 60 (mine is a Glenfield). Best, Robert
    "Endurance"
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I just gotta weigh in and come to the 60's defense here. Never any trouble with the tubular mag, very reliable rifle. I can hit every shot in a half inch group benched at 100 yards with a $6 Tasco scope and the cheapest ammo available, be it Blazers, Thunderbolts, even the wretched Russian .22 steel cased stuff. The only drawback is it is a bit hard to clean, and after about a thousand rounds, you do need to break it down and clean it or it gums up. Also, some have a teflon finish, which I have found to flake after a lot of use. But for the money, it is a great gun. I don't know about the 7000, but I have several Marlin guns and all are extremely accurate; in fact, I've outshot guys with Rugers in competition- nothing pro mind you, just freindly competition at the range... boy, the one guy with a tricked out 10/22 with $200 scope was ticked... ;-)
    "...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conference in 1899.
  • Options
    bsebastbsebast Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know I'm not addressing your question about 7000's and 60's, but I recently bought a Marlin 882SS in 22 mag. It is a stailess bolt gun with clip and synthetic stock. It is very accurate. Bought it at Walmart at only a couple of bucks above dealer cost. If you consider a bolt gun in 22 mag, I recommend the 882SS.
    Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Ephesians 4:29 bsebast@airmail.net