In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

colt detective special

mex1967mex1967 Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
edited November 2001 in Ask the Experts
I have two Colt Detective specials that I have acquired over the last two years. My main problem is how do i know what issue it is? I have one nickel and one blue. both have the full lug so that rules out the first issue. Is there any tell tale signs I should look for. Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I'm considering making a purchase on a Colt Detective Special and was curious if the price was decent. The firearm was made in the mid-seventies according to the owner, but I do not have the serial number. It is a 2" chrome plated model at about 95% finish and has wood Colt grips. The only finish wear is on the tip of the muzzle and the trigger guard. The gentleman who owns it is a retired officer and claims this was carried for a short period. I assume as a back-up piece. Included in the sale is the original box as well as all documentation from the Colt factory, as well as the shipping container it was delivered in. The asking price is $400.00.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'd appreciate some info on the Colt Detective Special, .38 cal.

When was it discontinued?

When was the latest wooden grip style adopted?

What would an unfired gun be worth in mint condition, with paperwork, but no box.

I understand a photo would be helpful, but don't have the ability to supply one.

Thanks for any help.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I recently purchased a second issue Detective Special with a factory hammer shroud.

How much does the shroud add to the value?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a pair of first run detective specials and wonder wwhere I might check the seria #'s to see what year they were made any suggestions? Also, I was told they were in 85-90% new condition but all I have are the guns. What does anybody have an idea what they are worth? (2"bbl blued finish, wood grips)
    Thanks for any help. I look forward to using/contributing to the forum.
    ZSD
  • Options
    edited November -1
    any info about this gun would be very helpful. most looking for year manuf. ser # 386xxx. also where to buy replacement parts ie grips.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My earlier posting about a Detective Special hammer shroud was in error. It is not a second issue according to another price guide.

It was made between 1966 and 1972.

Doees a factory hammer shroud add to the value of this gun?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    A special thank you to AntiqueDr for dating my detective special around 1969. I paid approx. $300 for this gun a few days ago. It is in excellent condition. Personally I think I paid a fair price. I shot it today and the only problem is the revolver shoots quite a bit to the left from about 15 yards. The front site "appears" to be straight. Can anyone give me any advice on how to correct this problem on a fixed site gun? Maybe sending it to colt is the answer. Also, I may have this gun engraved (just for fun). Would this hurt the value of the gun?Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Got a older DS, I would like to know what its worth and year made sn is A20005. Condition is around 90%
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am thinking about one of these and wondering what the trigger is like compared to the S&W model 60. thanks for your input.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What is the term used, when the
    grip frame straps front, back and
    bottom are exposed with two piece wood grips?
    Is it "round butt standard"?