In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What exactly is the difference in function btw DAO and SA/DA in auto pistols?

cpilericpileri Member Posts: 447 ✭✭✭
edited November 2001 in Ask the Experts

Comments

• Options
    badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DAO is just that - you have to pull the trigger all the way to cock the hammer and fire. Some pistols are DAO on the first shot and, since the hammer is then cocked are single action on the second. Thus DA/SA. Many people dislike the DAO/SA pistols because of the different trigger feel between the first and second shot.Single action pistols on the other hand only need a trigger pull to fire. They make great carry weapons locked and cocked, but you'd better know what you're doing before you try this.
    So many guns to buy. So little money.
  • Options
    gravediggergravedigger Member Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd just like to add that most DAO pistols have a VERY long trigger pull. (Beretta comes to mind) I prefer SA/DA for target shooting, but I can see where a DA would have advantages for carry purposes.-Marcus
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Carl,And then there is Glock (and a few others) which uses a "striker"--as opposed to a "hammer" (the hammer rotales on a pivot; the striker works on a straight-back-and-forth action). The stiker on the Glock is actually in a "half-cock" position--put there by the action of the slide. The Double Action Only ( I'll spell it out for anyone new to pistols and not familiar with the meaning of "DAO") refers to the action on EVERY shot. The hammer follows the slide back to an "uncocked" position when the slide moves forward and chambers the next round. The SA/DA (Single Action/Double Action) relates to DA for the FIRST shot--the hammer can be cocked and the gun can be fired by simply pulling the trigger (or one can cock the hammer manually with one's thumb or by operating the slide, but operating the slide will extract any round already in the chamber and a new round will be chambered if one is in the magazine). The following shots, after the first, are all SA since the recoiling and round-chambering action of the slide cocks the hammer automatically.Joe
  • Options
    ED PED P Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like SA/DA guns as all follow up shots to the first one have very little trigger pull, helping with accuracy in shot placement.My SA/DA has a "Decocker" lever combined with the safety, (S&W and SIG have this, others too) so if you've taken 4 shots and decide to put the gun back in the holster, you just put the safety on and it decocks the gun so your next shot will be the longer trigger pull shot again, with all follow up shots the short trigger pull.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is no full cock position on a DAO firearm. The hammer or striker is both cocked and released by the action of the trigger.DAO pistols and revolvers are not new . DAO revolvers existed as early as the American Civil War, used by Brits in WW2 and are still found on some current revolvers by S&W.DAO takes the decision making away from the user. He doesn't have to think about or lose time in operating a manual safety or cocking or uncocking a hammer. He just pulls the trigger.In a semiautomatic pistol there is still a task to do; that of charging the chamber by manually operating the slide.Because the trigger must cock the hammer and in a revolver also rotate the cylinder, DAO trigger pulls are heavy and long and take a great deal of practice to do decent target work.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So in either case (dao or sa/da) you must rack the slide to chamber the first round, then fire as usual, but with the dao no option for SA exists.Seems that no one likes DA/DAO auto pistols, and that is the main criticism of the Sig Mauser M2. Right?I was wondering just why thise sigs were SOOOOOOO much cheaper than other 45's and Sig 45's in particular. Anyone know anything about those sig mausers? I still lean toward a Sig 220 in 45 ACP though.Carl
  • Options
    obelixobelix Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    v35 is referring to Webley and/or Enfield WWII era revolvers, where the cocking capacity was removed, though they retained a spurless outside hammer. The ostensible reason was that the spur might catch on tankers' clothing. The real reason was that no one in that war expected a handgun to be used except in circumstances so close that accuracy would not be an issue.On the question that you ARE interested in, Ed's suggestion is best: A SA/DA auto with a decocker. Of course, you do have to remember to decock it. Tried Ruger?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No, haven't tried Ruger in 45- shot a 9mm though which I liked.Sig was recommended as the 45 that was most likely to be highly reliable, feed all types of ammo, and need the least- if any- gunsmithing right "out of the box". Basically, i am looking for a REASONABLY PRICED (I know i can buy a 2000 dollar custom "right out of the box" but...) 45 that I will not have to tune-up to enjoy. I prefer full size but its not a definite requirement.RUger that good?Carl
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Carl,Ruger is probably the best value in full size autos (especially with the $40 rebate right now). I haven't shot their P series in 45, but my general impression with the 9mms is: excellent quality, excellent reliability, poor ergonomics (but I've gotten used to their somewhat awkward feel- -They're somewhat "top heavy" and reaching the slide stop and decocker/saftey is a "reach" for my fingers).Joe
  • Options
    HiCapHiCap Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just recently purchased a Ruger KP95 and have rotated it into my current gun of choice. I love it and see no reason why the .45 P version shouldn't be as good. Great quality at an unbeatable price (buy it before year end and get the $40 rebate). I really like the DA/SA option on it. It took very little practice to get used to the first shot feeling different from the rest. I keep it in the house and carry it with one round chambered and don't worry about it at all. We have a local police chief who put a nice sized hole in his umm....rump with a cocked and locked SA duty weapon as he was getting into his cruiser. I figure if he can get crossed up like that as a seasoned professional I was better off with a decocked yet resonably combat ready carry weapon. The Ruger won on all counts. Plus, I put the first several clips entirely in the black right out of the box. No tweaking was necessary.Good luck!