In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

UZI Kits

Jungle JimJungle Jim Member Posts: 301 ✭✭✭
edited November 2001 in Ask the Experts
I've seen several listings on Uzi kits, everything there but the receiver, and have also seen receivers for sale. I am interested in building a semi automatic one, if it's legal and cost effective. What are the legalities, and resale values on these guns? It appears that I can build one for about 1/2 what they are selling for.Thanks,Jim

Comments

• kaboomkaboom Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe it would be legal if the reciever was originally made for semi-auto or has been permanantly altered to semi auto, and there are no full-auto parts in your possession which could be used to resore it to full auto. Actually, that last part isn't stated in the law, the ATF a######s just interpret the law to suit themselves. ATF doesn't care about legal technicallities as long as they can seize your gun and leave it up to you to prove them wrong. WHICH THEY WILL DO IF THEY GET THE CHANCE. Just ask the Louisiana guy who had a valuble collector gun confiscated a few years back because ATF said it could be made to fire full auto by modifying a couple of parts. Not because it WAS full auto, just because it could be MADE into a full auto. Well duhh, most semi-auto firearms can be made to fire full auto with a few alterations by a good smith. The old German gunsmith in my home town back when I was a teenage gun nut built a .22 LR mini-burpgun out of a semi-auto pistol with some modifications of the trigger/sear/disconnector mechanism, and some aluminium tubing for a stock. He's long since dead now, so I suppose it's safe to say it was a real blast to shoot it out on his ditchbank "range". As far as I know ATF can't dig up his body and prosecute at this late date, but they might try if Clinton was still in office. Sorry to be so long winded, I get going on guns and old times and don't know when to quit. A lot of us old f###s are like that ya know. Just be sure you dot all the I's and cross all the T's when you build that kit and you should be alright.
  • Jungle JimJungle Jim Member Posts: 301 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you! Now, I need advice on what kit to buy - I've seen them from $150 to $300, and they all say they're better, and include more parts ! Then, I have to find the right receiver; any suggestions ou there?JJ
  • nmyers@home.comnmyers@home.com Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's not that simple.I don't think that you can just put Uzi full auto parts in a semi-auto frame. Some Uzi full-auto's are advertised as "registered bolt" guns; this means that the groove in the bolt has been altered to fit the frame lug, which is different on full auto frames. So, it's not a "drop in" conversion.I suggest that, before you spend good money and end up with a bunch of parts you can't use, that you consult with a local Class III gunsmith and get the straight scoop. My feeling is that money spent with local dealers and 'smiths is well spent, even if you occasionally pay a little more.Neal
  • Jungle JimJungle Jim Member Posts: 301 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, it seems to me that I'd be better off buying a complete weapon. The Norinco 320 would work if I could find one at a decent price. I've bid on several, but I'm either too cheap, or they're too high --If anyone out there can help me find a deal on one it would be most appreciated.davvet2@yahoo.comThanks for the responses, Jim