In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

why is it so good

rangerange Member Posts: 554 ✭✭✭
edited November 2001 in Ask the Experts
why is the ak47 rated so good> and which one is the best to buy? thanks to all who take the time to answer.

Comments

• jeenyesjeenyes Member Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Because it is so dependable. Mud, sand, water doesn't bother it. Just don't fill the barrel with mud, or KB will happen.I prefer the ChiCom with a milled receiver.
  • KadaverKadaver Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    plus they are damn fun, and a good conversation piece among anit-assult rifle people.
  • competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And people "get out of your way" if you walk down the street with one!Actually, I think the best thing about the AK is the magazine--big tough feed lips; most problems I've experienced with "automatic" firearms is jambing related to magazine problems--most magazines have "delicate" feed lips that can be damaged too easily.
  • chuckuchucku Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It depends. The romanian ones are the cheapest, I just bought one for $300. The bulgarians are finished nicer but cost $500 . They all go bang every time and I believe that is there allure.
  • ED PED P Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All said is true- super dependable design, magazines you could hammer a nail into the wall with...Disassembling them is so easy, a few big parts, all crudely milled with hand grinding faults all over them, all fitting together loosely but functioning fine.My dealer told me the Romanian AK's probably cost $50 US dollars a piece to manufacture, yet mine has functioned flawlessly for hundreds of rounds, and I expect 1000's more.They aren't as accurate as an AR at longer distances, but friends of mine who were in the Gulf war said even the latest model M-16's with all the flaws fixed in earlier models needed to be cleaned daily to function reliably.