In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

FEG PA-63 problem

jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
edited November 2001 in Ask the Experts
I've mentioned this in passing a few times, and now I've messed around and want answers. I have a PA63. I originally thought I had a feed problem, but now I'm not so sure. When a round feeds, the slide doesn't close all the way (sometimes it stays a good 1/16" open, other times, just a hair) and needs a helping hand- often quite a strong hand- to close enough to permit firing. I tried another Mag, and still have the problem. I stripped the gun and tried dropping a round loose into the chamber; it chambered effortlessly. So I know I haven't got a burr in the chamber. So I start messing with the gun and find that if you ease the slide foward, there is a distinct catch when the slide is still about an inch open. I might mention the gun is clean and oiled. This catch is enough to hold the slide open against the spring, if you ease it foward; if I let it slam forward, it does shut, all the way if on an empty chamber. So now I'm a bit confused. If I had a weak spring, bent slide, burr somewhere on the slide or barrel, etc., I would expect to see the slide hang up as it does, with about an inch of barrel showing. On the other hand, when ammo is in the gun, it doesn't hang up until the round is mostly chambered. This feels like a chamber problem, but couldn't be, as a loose round drops in fine with the gun stripped. Before I cave and take it to a 'smith, any ideas?
"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conference in 1899.

Comments

• thesupermonkeythesupermonkey Member Posts: 3,905 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hmmm...I know this may be an obvious question but you are using FMJ 9mm Makarov not 9mm Luger/Parabellum correct? Is there any possibility the magazine isn't inserted completely? Munkey
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Both mags have been inserted correctly and fully. I am using 9mm Mak ammo, I've tried Wolf and some handloads. If I don't insert the mag, but single feed into the chamber, with the gun still in one piece, I get the same problem; but I don't get the problem if the weapon is stripped.
    "...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conference in 1899.
    edited November -1
    I'm sure the slide has been worked 500 times already, as the gun is used, but not abused. I checked for any obvious hang ups but found none. I might try a new spring, or if I can't find one, streching this spring a bit.
  • HK CoolHK Cool Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its too bad they weren't made in Italy (like the Carcano) ... then you could just smack it with a hammer a few times ****Sorry for the smart * comment, I'm sure you didn't need it, but I couldn't help it!
    I saw an HK and said ~ Cool!
  • BubbascoolBubbascool Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have tried Wolf ammo before. It dosen't chamber in my Kimber and if the reloads aren't fully sized you could be experiencing a similar problem. Does this happen with Rem. Federal or Win. ammo? Have you tried scrubbing the chamber and or feed ramp?
    edited November -1
    I've tried scrubbing the chamber and feed ramp. I haven't tried other brands of ammo, but my handloads drop in absolutely effortlessly if the slide is removed and I just drop it in.
  • Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sure sounds like a recoil spring problem. Why don't you contact the Wolff spring people, and ask them if they can supply a correct replacement spring. Unfortunately, I don't have their phone no., but you can probably get it (the number) from Brownells as they handle many of their springs and kits. I don't see your specific spring listed in their catalogue, but when they don't carry an item they are usually very co-operative about giving you the manufacturer's phone no. Or, perhaps, another forum contributor has it and will post it for you.
  • b00merb00mer Member Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    check the extractor, look for burrs or grit behind the spring, sounds like the extractor is not slipping over the round 100% and preventing it from allowing the slide to fully close or go into battery postition.May even want to take the extractor out and polish the front to a little more bevel to allow it to slip over the rim.[This message has been edited by b00mer (edited 11-29-2001).]
  • Ronald J. SnowRonald J. Snow Member Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When the round fails to chamber, is the round "cocked" upward at all? If it is, and the extractor is not a problem, check the bolt face. Be sure there is not a burr around the firing pin hole or that the firing pin is not protruding a mite. Further, there could be a "high spot" on the bolt face. I am assuming that you have thoroughly cleaned the bolt face and that there is no build up of crud keeping the cartridge from smoothly sliding into position. These are the most common problems I find with semi-auto firearms.