In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Precision Magazines for Mini-14's?

NOTPARSNOTPARS Member Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2001 in Ask the Experts
About two years ago I bought a stainless steel magazine for my mini-14 at a Kansas City gun show ($20 a piece). They were new, made by Precision, and worked a heck of a lot better than the USA Mags I have. The fellow who sold them, from Western Kansas, told me he had lots of them. About six months later I ordered two more and received them in no time at all only the price had gone up to $26 a piece. Because sometimes I am not too bright, I didn't buy anymore. Several months ago I called him and he said they were all long gone. Does anyone know if Precision is still in business? Obviously they cannot legally make 20, 30, and 40 rounders but I was hoping maybe they had stashed some around. Also, does anyone know what happened to the gun shows in Kansas City? There has not been one here in months! I tried CDNN Investments in Texas. They have magazines but the stainless ones and "like stainless" ones are all out of stock. Guess I'll settle for blue steel. Oh yeah, one more question, the CDNN advertisement either lists the manufacturer of the magazines as USA Mag or Ruger. I didn't know Ruger made 20 and 30 round mags for the mini-14 and Mini-30...

Comments

• HK CoolHK Cool Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I heard the buildings where the shows were held were sold, one to Sprint and the other to some school district, also heard they have reserved space in a building out by Kansas City International Airport. Unfortunately the building is still under construction and wont be ready until April or May.
    I saw an HK and said ~ Cool!
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    there has been at least one gun show in the last month or two at the overland park kansas convention center just east of metcalf at about 115th st. The old location for gun shows in K.C. Mo is gone forever. Check the gun want ad section in the K.C. Star newspaper from time to time and you will find the gun shows.
  • seamusseamus Member Posts: 96 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ruger continues to make 20 round mags, and until very recently, made 30 round mags, for the Mini 14. They are only made in blue steel, and only sold to law enforcement, USG, military, or foreign governments. Long, long ago, Ruger sold hi-cap Mini 14 mags to the civilian market. Ruger has never made hi-cap mags for the Mini 30, 7.62 - only the standard 5 round mags. Factory Ruger mags are by far the best availale, and the most expensive. Pre-ban factory Ruger mags are available on the open market, but expect to pay about $80 for "like new" in the 20 rd. size, and $100 for the same condition in 30 rd. size. Used ones are cheaper, of course. I own 14 factory mags, but have no intention of parting with them (I've tried too many wanabees).
  • NOTPARSNOTPARS Member Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gentlemen, thanks for the info, it was a real help. CDNN Investments of Texas is offering Ruger Mini-14 magazines in 20 and 30 round capacities. They say they are Ruger brand and new. The price is right too. I was just wondering if the Ruger one's are better than USA Mags. Sounds like I need to get ordering!Again, thanks as this was a real help.
  • lrarmsxlrarmsx Member Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NOTPARS, I just talked to CDNN. They have no "Factory Ruger" 20 or 30 rd mags for the Mini 14. The ones they have are by Western. May be almost as good as the USA, but maybe not. Definitely not the quality of the Precision (PMI). I've got some of those mags (PMI), but they aren't cheap anymore. I've tried the cheap Mini 14 mags from CDNN, I won't try them again. If you want the PMI Mini 14 mags that works, let me know. LRARMSX@HOME.COM
  • boots62boots62 Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When the hicap ban came out I bought two of the "Ruger Brand" 30 rnd mags from CDNN. They came in a clear blue plastic wrapper with no markings on the bag or the mags. I didnt know better so I kept them. A couple months later a guy told me that Ruger brand mags have the company logo on them and come in a logoed box. I still had my receipt from CDNN that stated "Ruger Factory Magazines" so I called them up. I was informed that their shipping dept doesnt make that kind of mistake (shipping wrong items), and I had waited too long to get any refund anyway. I was told this rather rudely in not socially acceptable verbage. It only cost me $80 apeice for the mags. They made a hefty profit. It will be the last they make from me. If you order "fatory mags", make sure they come in a box and the box and the mag floorplate have the Ruger logo on it.[This message has been edited by boots62 (edited 11-29-2001).]
    edited November -1
    For Irarmsx and boots62: Boy do I owe you! That is what I love about this forum, you only have to ask to get some good advice. You both just saved me a bundle! There are lots of mags for sale (J&G Sales, Natchez, etc.,) but they all seem to be USA Mags. Irarmsx, I'll probably give you a holler. Boots62, I will honor your boycott!
  • lrarmsxlrarmsx Member Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Boots62, I'm sorry to hear of your royal *&$#@ing. I've heard of other companies pulling the same stunt. In some cases they may really not know what they did to you. In other cases they (any seller), just don't know what they've got. I had a place years ago sell me PMI 20's, 30's and 40's. The 20's and 30's were in fact PMI, the 40's were Western or USA, hard to tell with no markings, but they definitely weren't PMI. I luckily knew this immediately and called them to send a call tag and get them back. That wasn't what I ordered and not what I paid for. I sell mags myself and I make it a point of knowing what I have. I hate to get stuck with the wrong product and I try to make it a point to not do that to anyone else. Sometimes that means the mags aren't cheap. I don't know about you, but I'd rather pay more for a good magazine, than less for one that doesn't work. I just had a guy this last weekend come back and apoligize for blowing me off when I told him that his $10 S&W "factory" magazine was neither factory nor most likely functional. I had a factory one for $28.95, but he knew better and told me to keep it. Fine, no problem. The next day he insisted on apoligizing. His "factory" $10 mag would barely go into the gun and when it did, it wouldn't work. I told him it wasn't necessary to apologize, but he was very adamant, he wouldn't have it. "You were trying to tell me the truth and I wouldn't listen", he said. We all live and learn. It is too bad that some of us have to get burned, I've been burned too. I'm just glad that we were able to help in this case. Someone else didn't have to pay the price this time.
  • ref44ref44 Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lots of good info here...someone will be asking again in 2-3 weeks.In my experience, PMI mags are the best there is...after Ruger's own brand. The 20-rd nickel mags are very hard to find...much more so than the 30's and 40's.Like an earlier poster, I bought one at $20, another at $25, two at $30, then they were all gone.Someone in the last Gun List had 20's, 30's, and 40's for sale. The 20's were $74.95, and the others were cheaper than that. If anyone needs it, I will find the source.
    edited November -1
    Okay, this may be off the beaten path a little...but...I may be purchasing a Robinson Arms VEPR II (Russian 7.62X39 mm) very soon. There a lots of 20 and 30 round magazines for sale for this AK. Which ones should I stay away from?
  • luger01luger01 Member Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guys,I checked in with gunaccessories.com and see they have Mini-14/30 mags from John Mason Co. and Mega-Mag (as well as some Thermold hi-cap mags). I have used Precision (PMI) mags for years and know they are excellent and reliable. No other mags I've used are worth buying. These new (to me) brands are supposed to be good. I've ordered a couple of each and will report back when I have tested them.Best to all,Luger