In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger 77/44

rballirballi Member Posts: 770 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2001 in Ask the Experts
Anyone have or shoot a Ruger 77/44? I just got one at the last gun show. I plan to put a compact 4x scope on it. What can I expect from this gun? I hope for it to be a 2" gun at 100yds. Any experience or info on the gun would be appreciated. Also, how does it like 44 specials?Roy

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have been looking at a new Ruger 77/44 to use on deer in West Virginia hill country. Good idea or not? How should it be scoped and sighted for what range?

Don't like to jump in without some ideas from those who have "been there".

Grizzly
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have been looking at a new Ruger 77/44 to use on deer in West Virginia hill country. Good idea or not? How should it be scoped and sighted for what range?

Don't like to jump in without some ideas from those who have "been there".

Grizzly
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Picked one of these up at the local gun shop today. Anyone have any experience with them?
  • Options
    Ronald J. SnowRonald J. Snow Member Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have sold four of the stainless steel versions of this rifle since October first. We have been getting just about the two inch groups using 1.4-4.5x Bushnell Banner scopes. They all liked the Remington 240 grain soft point ammo, code #R44MG2. Handloads that worked best were 240 grain Hornady "XTP" and Winchester 296 powder. These feel like slick rifles.
  • Options
    gunnutgunnut Member Posts: 724 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own a 77/44 with a 4x on top. It shoots 1 to 2in at 100 depending on loads. I love the little rifle! I traded a Taurus 608 for it and would do it again any day the ruger was NIB. The taurus was a big heavy loud pos.
    ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just got a 4x20 Bushnell Banner Dusk & Dawn Shotgun/Rimfire scope for the gun. I plan to only shoot this gun 100yds or less. I hope to sight it in this weekend with a zero at 50yds and see how it does at 100. If the scope doesn't work out, I can return it or I'm sure I can find another gun to put it on.Roy
  • Options
    LightningLightning Member Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a model 77/44 that was the first one made that my dealer could get his hands on. Topped with a 4x scope ot is a great little brush or woods gun. It shoots 1 1/2 to 2 inch groups. Been a flawless performer.