In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Black Powder Cartridge

gringo17gringo17 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited December 2001 in Ask the Experts
What is the best way to clean black powderempty brass. And how long after being fired [This message has been edited by gringo17 (edited 11-22-2001).]

Comments

• Options
    woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When at the range I carry a gallon jug of water with some comercial pot & pan dish soap in it. I drop my fired brass in it as soon as possible after firing them.When I get home I dump it throgh a strainer and brush the insides using an old worn cleaning brush. rinse them a couple times then dry in a slow oven(200deg), tumble them in corn cob media that has a few ounces of #2 steel shot in it.I use a rotary tumbler. they don't come out real pretty but there is no powder residue left in it and no corrosion.
  • Options
    rg666rg666 Member Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have either of you guys tried "Clean shot" instead of black powder? If so were you happy with the results? RG
  • Options
    woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've recently experimented with Clean Shot in my NEF 45/70. Was nice to clean it by pouring boiling water down the bore. Followed by an oily patch, gun was clean. Got some tough green verdigris on the insides of my cases though, took a little extra time with the wire brush but wasn't too difficult to get out. I've only loaded up 40 rounds at this point still working at a load. Used 60 grains of Clear Shot under a 405gr wheel weight bullet sized to .458 and lubed with liquid alox. I was getting 4" groups at 50 yds. I've gotten half that with 2f Black powder.
  • Options
    turboturbo Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try full strength vinegar, soak overnite, it only costs 65cents at the store per gallon.Even works good on verdigras, doesn't look pretty when you clean water spotted cartridges , bvut it do shine.
  • Options
    AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rg666:I don't use blackpowder cartrigdes for rifle or pistol, but if loading solid brass shotshells for Damascus barreled shotguns counts, then I load them.I use "Clean Shot" exclusively for the solid brass shotshells. It sure makes cleaning the shotgun barrels a snap. I really can't tell a big bunch of difference in the pattern densities when I use "Clean Shot" and blackpowder. It is an entirely a different story with "Clear Shot" - burn rate is erratic and shot string is not at all to my liking.