In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Night vision scopes

robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
edited December 2001 in Ask the Experts
I have never paid attention to night vision devices, but I have an interest in getting one. I need advice on what manufacturer makes the best one. I want the latest technology for clarity of vision. I would like it to be in the 4x range of power but not required. It needs to be able to handle the recoil from a high power magnum rifle, in the .338 Win Mag category. I would prefer an illuminated reticle. Range finding capability is not required. It should carry a very good warranty, as I deem that to be a pretty good indication of its quality. I would like to keep the cost under 1500.00. I am not going to be buying one soon, I am just trying to get some of the leg work done. Any ideas on what brand I should look at, from this description, would be truly appreciated.
SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have been looking for a night scope and was wondering if anyone can help me out. I'm hunting hogs at night. I currently working with a light an inferred laser. I looked at an AN/PVS-4 GEN II and the price was $1500.00
    I have a hard time spending that kind of money. Is there something close to the AN/PVS?
    I was looking to spend about half of that.
    Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    From previous post

While we're at it any suggestions on an inexpensive NV scope? Read other posts to stay away from Russian ones. Why? I have an AN/PVS-2 for my M-1A, am I going to do any better than this without a small fortune?

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my gun.
  • Options
    jeenyesjeenyes Member Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look for AMT ads in shotgun news. A new 3rd gen. scope will run a few thousand, but you should be able to get a decent 2nd gen. scope. What ever you do don't get any of the Russian stuff. I have used it and it really bites.
  • Options
    rick_renorick_reno Member Posts: 186
    edited November -1
    IMHO, ITT makes the best NV equipment you can purchase. Given the rifle you are interested in mounting NV equipment on - pay special attention to the scopes ability to deal with muzzle flash - and put whatever device you can on the rifle to reduce the flash.