In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need info on EDDIE STONE model 1917

popshapopsha Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited December 2001 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone have any info or can put me in contact with someone who may? I've shown it to a couple of dealers and they just shook their heads.

Comments

• Options
    lugee00lugee00 Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is your question?
  • Options
    popshapopsha Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I need to know the cal. what year it was made,where i can get parts (trigger and bolt need work so i never tried to put any shells in it) it looks like an army rifle but no one i've talked to seems to know for sure.There are no other markings except, name model,serial#
  • Options
    22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    Eddystone 17 Enfields are not recommended for much other than wallhangers I wouldn't put any money to it. Winchesters and Remingtons are a different story.Cal. is 30/06 unless its a Brit then .303Look for US ordnance mark or crown to tell which.Made by Remington Arms Union at Eddiestone, Pa.
    Home of the Blue AngelsProviding a home for discontinued .22 Revolvers and PistolsHaving a gun in your possession is a full-time job.You cannot guess; you cannot forget.NRA & 2nd Amendment Sisters MemberNever miss a good chance to shut up (Will Rogers)
  • Options
    king999king999 Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    POPSHA I don't know why you would have any difficiculty in identification or the remarks of .22 above. Assuming that it is marked eddystone 1917, it was the principle arm of US forces in WW I. There were not enough Springfields available and Winchester and Remington had been making the Pattern 14 for the Brits. It was a fairly simple task to revamp for the 30/06 cartridge and it became the US Rifle Model 1917. The rifles are ultra strong and dependable if somewhat heavy and ugly. Many people do not like the "cock-on-close" action, but once you get used to it, there's no problem.They were made by Winchester and by Remington at two different plants; their Ilion, NY factory and at their EDDYSTONE plant. I've owned them all and ther ain't a nickle's worth of difference between them, however collectors do place a premium on the Winchesters and value the eddystone the least. There is a unit sold to convert the action to "cock-on-open"; DO NOT INSTALL IT! Check "shotgun news" for parts dealers.Enjoy your rifle. Unless someone screwed it up it takes any standard 30/06 ammo.Have fun, take care! Morty (mkood@prodigy.net)