In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Browning BAR vs. Remington 7400

dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
edited December 2001 in Ask the Experts
I'm thinking about buying a semi-auto rifle in 308 winchester. I like the light weight of the BAR Stalker, but I like the price of the 7400 synthetic. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    I'm ready to add a semi-auto sporter to the collection. I had a Remington 742 years ago and was disapointed with the accuracy of the rifle. I'm now looking at the Remington 7400 and the Browning BAR, both in 30.06. The Browning is much higher in price, but is it worth the difference? Opinions please....
    Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE!
  • Options
    jhj370jhj370 Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am shooting the 7400 with a hornady 150g wiht a 3/4 in grouping. It depends on what you want the gun for. If it's just to go out and hunt. I would opt for the 7400. The biggest con I have experienced is the trash guard won't hold up. I, my brother, and my father have had the guard to break and fall out. Not a big deal as long as you keep the gun clean. Occasional jamming has also taken place. But, it works just fine as a deer gun in SouthEast GA. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    turboturbo Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 7400, and like the ability afforded the second quick shot.Been pig hunting down arizona and NM way and have no complaints, I've also hunted with it central Oreg. and bagged a nice buck, with the second shot, in the wide open they can see you coming way before, you spot them, but once you set up they still make for 150 yds and up shooting.Maintenance, requires complete disassemble, to prevent rust and gunk build up which affects action. Comparing to my bolt action, I prefer the bolt for long shots, but as I said the second shot option makes the semi more preferable, when hunting bores, and medium game in brush.I haven't owned or used a browning, but I've heard they weigh a bit more.So there goes... [This message has been edited by turbo (edited 12-03-2001).]