In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Browning Auto 3 or A5

raskilraskil Member Posts: 250 ✭✭✭
edited December 2001 in Ask the Experts
Has any one heard of a Browning Auto 3 shotgun? My father-in-law has a Browning shotgun with Auto 3 stamped on the foregrip. He said it was made in the '30s and he is looking for a replacement barrel. He may have an A5 with a mis-stamped part, but then again, he may have been three sheet in the wind when he was looking at the gun. If I get more info I will repost.

Comments

• Options
    AntiqueDrAntiqueDr Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have someone sober look at the gun, then repost.
    We buy, sell and trade quality guns and scopes!Ask us about Shepherd Scopes!Visit our website at www.ApaxEnterprises.com
  • Options
    AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have never seen a pre-WWII Browning A-5, so on them I don't have a clue. BUT, the "American Brownings" made by Remington from 1940 - 1949, had the more "delicate" profile on the forearm of the Remington Model 11. The forearm also has written on the end near the cap - "Browning 3 shot"in a vertical arrangement.The "American Brownings" or "A-B-C Brownings" have a serial number that begins with A(16 gauge) B(12 gauge) or C(20gauge).I suspect that this is the Browning being referred to.I hope this is the information you are in need of.[This message has been edited by AdamsQuailHunter (edited 11-16-2001).]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info, I'll pass it on.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What my father-in-law has is a '36-'37 Engraved Belgium made Browing imported thru St.Louis. It has a 10 inch forgrip vs an 11 inch on the A5. It only holds 2 shells in the mag. This model was produced in responce to the waterfowl act (limiting 3 rounds). This info came from a Browning historian. He advised these are rare and it would be very difficult to find an extra barrel.
  • Options
    AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many thanks for the update. I shall print out this and add it to my reference materials.I suspect Captain Kirk will add it to his "electronic data-base" - unfortunately, I don't know how to do that or use one.Again, thanks for returning to the forum when you found out.Best Regards AdamsQuailHunter