In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remingtin nylon 66

orooro Member Posts: 174 ✭✭✭
edited December 2001 in Ask the Experts
I just took one of these Remingtons in on trade.I haven't seen one for awhile and have never shoot one.What are some of the pro's & cons,and need to knows about this gun.Thanks Oro

Comments

• Options
    SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The nylon series are very nice and dependable guns. I bought a very used model 77 which is the same as a 66 only magazine fed. The rifel had been fired so much and not cleaned that it looked like someone had poured a pound of powder into the action. After a through cleaning the only discernable wear was the bottom of the striker which looked slightly polished. This rifel had untold thousands of rounds fired through it. Whater you do, do not take it apart other than removing the barrel and the receiver cover. The parts are imbeded in the nylon stock and many take special tools to put them together.
  • Options
    timberbeasttimberbeast Member Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to have one, and it is a great rifle. Accurate, and dependable. Gave it away to a nephew, don't believe he's ever fired it. Oops. Never had any malfunction of any sort, and if I missed, it was my fault.
  • Options
    byron2112byron2112 Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got one that my dad bought in the late sixties.I don't think its ever been cleaned,and its still very accurate reliable.I love these guns,light and handy.Mines the "Apache" model.It has a black stock with a bright nickle reciever,barrel.Very neat lookin gun.The reason my father bought this unique looking gun was that his friends had the all black models and when they were out shooting one day they laid down their rifles next too each other and never could figure out what was who's. LOL
  • Options
    wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've read this some place and it's probably urban legend (re:bs). That the nylon 66 is the eskimos gun of choice. Throw it in the bottom of the kayak in the sea water and when they need it, shake it off and use it. They are nearly indestructible.
    standard.jpg
  • Options
    TeamblueTeamblue Member Posts: 782 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only con for me is that I only have one!!! These are superb rifles that are the ultimate in reliability. Plenty accurate too. I would agree with the warning on taking them apart. If one is not familiar with how the parts go together it can be very troublesome. I recently refurbished a N66 that my dad bought in 1967 and has seen a very large number of rounds through it, most from me as a kid. When I swapped over the internal parts into a new stock, I had to make my own jig to properly seat some of the sear assembly parts. It was well worth the effort as my finished product was such that dad didn't hardly recognize it as the same rifle! Advice: Don't sell it. Keep it and have a shooter forever.
  • Options
    varmit huntervarmit hunter Member Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Saxon, you are correct about the Eskimo story.I bought a 66 in 1965.At that time Remington ran a full page add.It showed a Eskimo in the front of a boat with a dead seal and a Nylon 66.Every thing in that boat was coverd in ice.I would get cold looking at that picture in a hot August in Texas.I still have the gun,And it is in better shape than me.Wish I had kept that picture.
    A unarmed man is a subject.A armed man is a citizen.
  • Options
    valkyrie.ridervalkyrie.rider Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hate the 66.Darn thing shoots so good and is so reliable, I can't seem to justify buying a different double duce. It is not fair, I could be stuck with this gun for life......
  • Options
    bigdaddy1bigdaddy1 Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey ORO If you would like some info on your 66 just email me I have a buch of stuff I can send you FREE... wheel_rim@hotmail.com