In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Chinese SKS

mosin manmosin man Member Posts: 131 ✭✭
edited December 2001 in Ask the Experts
Can the Chinese ( or any other than the Russian) fit the 30 shot clip? Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I just bought a Chinese Sks and it dosn't have a bayonet lug on it. I have the bayonet that I just purchased here. I need to find a bayonet lug for it. Where do I find one. Thank you
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Anybody know the fps of SKS?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Chinese SKS and from the sereial #s it is dated 1957, it has a screw in barrel and milled trigger group like the Russian SKS, how rare are these rifles and what would the value be for one in very good condition?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I installed a 20 round mag on my sks rifle and found that I would get a jam every other round. Soon I found that if I hit the butt of the rifle to set the rounds back in the mag- the problem went away. Any reasons why? I'd like to be able to load and shoot without bumping the rear.
  • Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They're not rare; probably at least half of those imported were milled/screwed. Going rate here for a nice one is $250.
  • Options
    kaboomkaboom Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would have to say that a 1957 dated Chinese SKS may not be rare, but it isn't real common either. Most of the SKS's imported in the last 2 or 3 years before Clinton banned Chinese imports were recently manufactured exclusively for the American market. However, I don't think the date of manufacture has much, if any, significance on the value of a garden variety SKS. Condition is more important in determining the going price, and the screwed barrel and milled trigger group definately adds to the value. I sold a used pressed-in barrel and stamped trigger SKS not too long ago for $165. One like your's in VG condition would go for around $225 or a bit more at a gun store in this area, a private sale would bring a little less.
  • Options
    TeamblueTeamblue Member Posts: 782 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    On that note my Chinese SKS has a serial number of 230025xx. Can anyone tell me when it was manufactured?? Also how does one tell if the trigger group is milled or stamped? Also if the barrel is pressed or screwed? Thanks for any replies.
  • Options
    boeboeboeboe Member Posts: 3,331
    edited November -1
    I don't know where kaboom is from, but in Kansas a private sales will often bring a little more than a dealer sale.
  • Options
    kaboomkaboom Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Boeboe - I'm in north GA mountains right near the NC state line. Gun store prices in these little towns are on the high side. Down around the Atlanta area there's more competition and prices are lower.
  • Options
    lrarmsxlrarmsx Member Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some of the differences in SKS prices comes from their initial cost and knowledge of history as well as knowledge of the current market. There a a lot of us that remember SKS's under $100. There are also a lot of people that bought them at that time. Some of those people bought them at a very cheap price and have used them for the last 5-6 years. They figure if it was $89.95 new, now that it is used it must be worth less. (Wrongly assuming they are still $89.95 used.)Therefore some people will not value their SKS as high as others basing their price on history rather than the current market. As the SKS's from China and Russia dried up in the latter 1990's, dealer prices from the distributors began to rise. Consequently then so did the cost to the public. I knew a guy that was laughing his behind off because he had really taken his buddy. He had sold his buddy his used SKS for $65. He had bought it new for well under $100 and had shot the heck out of it for several years. He really thought it was funny that his buddy was willing to pay $65 for his USED SKS. Then I told him that sight unseen I would have paid him at least double that amount. He couldn't understand why. He figured they were still under $100 brand new in the box right? I pointed out to him that they hadn't been that price for years and that his buddy wasn't thinking that he had been taken at all. He probably was laughing his behind off instead.If people price what they are selling something, based on what they paid. You'd see guys selling their 20 year old Colt AR15 for $200, their Pythons for $175, their HK 94's for $290, and their 1965 Mustang for $800. In this forum of "ask the experts", many people want to know what something is worth. The common response is what the market will bare, not based on what it cost years ago. In different parts of the country the market is different, hence the price will vary depending on supply, demand, and the general state of the economy in that area, not to mention how much competition there is for gun dealers and shows.
  • Options
    TeamblueTeamblue Member Posts: 782 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I found my own answers at www.simonov.net. This is a very comprehensive site when it comes to the SKS. Mine, it turns out, was made in 1979. It has a screwed in barrel and a stamped trigger group. It was made at the rectangle "0141" factory and imported by China Jing An of Michigan. There is tons of information for anyone wanting knowledge on the SKS on that site.