In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Auto Ordnance Tommy Gun

MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
edited October 2002 in Ask the Experts
Anyone have any experience with the 1927A1 .45 "tommy gun" that are on the market.I know that Kahr arms now owns Auto Ordnance. I would like to know the pros and cons of this gun . Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Options
    DiabloDiablo Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Heavy
    Looks cool

I like the Uzi model be carbine better.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    The biggest PRO is that you don't need the $10,000+++ entry fee for a real Thompson sub machinegun. They look nice and are fun to shoot. The CONS are the same as with any Thompson: they are heavy, no well balanced and pretty expensive "plinkers". With the cost of .45ACP, it gets very expensive very fast to empty a few 20 round magazines.

The rifle does not really lend itself to any use in the field and even if you were to take it hunting, lugging that bad boy around for a hour would be about the limit, it is heavy and there is no real way to hold it except "at the ready". The 16" barrel gives pretty good velocity from the .45 and accuracy would be good, except the sights on the rifle are not all that great. It is certainly no target gun!
    I feel the cons out weigh the pros... unless you want one and then I say: GO OUT AND BUY ONE! It does not have to be useful for anything if it suits your needs and budget. These are just my opinions.

Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    DiabloDiablo Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can get a MPA post ban Mac 10 in .45 for have the price
  • Options
    HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    They "pop" the eyes when you bring one to the range. Lots of fun to shoot, no noticeable kick (the weight!!!).

It's not what you know that gets you in trouble, it's what you know that just ain't so!
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had an 1927 A5 pistol, it had the aluminumum reciever and a 13" barrel, and still weighed 8 pounds ... had a 39 round drum that fed perfectly. It was fun, and since I reload ammo wasn't all that expensive ... but I soon traded it off ... it just wasn't that much fun, as pointed out the sights are pretty much worthless and even more so with the pistol model, the drums are awkward to change ... there are just so many other more funner and user friendlier shooters out there ... it may be just something you have to get out of your system though ... thats how it was with me, I got the itch and couldn't shake it till I got one ...

===========================
    Chance favors the prepared mind
    kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys for the help !!
  • Options
    gravediggergravedigger Member Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw a couple of these at the gun show this weekend. Do these accept drums?

-Marcus

Tempus Fugit.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes, they do. However, the more available (and cheaper) ones are for 10 rounds; the 50 round ones start around $450 and go on up from there. You can identify the number of rounds by the markings on the drum (X=10; L=50).

It's not what you know that gets you in trouble, it's what you know that just ain't so!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was told the Deluxe models accept drum mags and stick mags . The standard guns only accept the stick mags. Is that true ?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Don't know which models accept drums altho I do have the deluxe 1927A1, and it does.