In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Marlin camp carbine

leadlead Member Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭
edited October 2002 in Ask the Experts
Need some info on the camp .45 and camp 9, how many rounds do their standard mags hold, and how good are these rifles?? are they reliable and accurate??

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I just bought a used camp carbine with a scope. The bases are the see through type. I was wondering what bases fit this model? Additionally the front and rear sights are gone and I would like to find a front sight replacement and a peep or aperature sight. Any information would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
    John
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is the Marlin Camp Carbine 45acp legal in California?

Thank you
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I picked up one of these at a weekend gunshow. It has a Marlin 10 round clip. I seem to remember it can take other clips. I stopped at a friends booth at the show and tried a S&W model 59 clip but it didn't seem to fit right. Anyone know if I can use other clips, especially hi-cap? Thanks.

Pass on the tradition, teach a kid to shoot.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I recently purchsed a new Marlin Camp Carbine in 9m/m and have the following problem. The gun appears to be short-chambered in that after firing, or letting the bolt slam on a chambered round, and attempting to extract a loaded round, it will often stick in the chamber. When I knock the round out with a cleaning rod, it has a very noticable ring-type bulge in the case directly below the base of the bullet. This bulge is big enough to cause the round to stick in the chamber. Several brands of ammo do the same thing. Careful before and after measuements indicate the 'crush' to be anywhere from .012" to .015", depending on the brand of ammo. The gun functions ok although accuracy isn't great. I sent the gun back to Marlin with a detailed letter and follow up phone calls and they told me there was nothing wrong with it. In fact, they said this was "normal" for this gun. They sent it back (with a new barrel), and it does the same thing as it did before. Marlin also told me not to fire Blazer ammo in this gun.
    Any thoughts? Anyone with a Marlin 9m/m with similar experience. Not what I expected from "Americas' Oldest Gunmaker"
  • Options
    Spring CreekSpring Creek Member Posts: 1,260
    edited November -1
    Mag from my S&W 6906 work perfectly.
    Makes a nice handgun/rifle combination.

JOIN THE NRA
    SUPPORT THE NRA
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The S&W 59-series magazine should have fit.

I'm suspecting it was an "aftermarket" magazine which was not manufactured properly. If it was a "high capacity" (more than 10 rounds), it wouldn't suprise me if it was low quality as there are a lot of poor aftermarket mags out there (people keep their quality mags).

Prices for S&W factory mags are high; I have some of these in the auction; these work perfectly in my Camp-9. (The mag does of course extend down past magazine housing since it is 15 rounds instead of Marlin's 10 rounds.): http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=5861191
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a camp carbine, and use the factory 10 rd mags as well as S&W model 59 mags and they work great. The 59 mags are hi-cap 15 rds, and function fine. You may encounter problems with "after- market" hi caps.