In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Model 1898 Value

C10C10 Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
edited October 2002 in Ask the Experts
I have a Springfield model 1898 in its' original configuration. Original stock, barrel etc. Never been re-blued or anything. It was left to me from my Grandfather. Does anyone have any idea of its' value? I can email pics if that would help. Shoots 30-40 Krag rounds. Thanks for any input.

GWF

Comments

• Options
    Iroquois ScoutIroquois Scout Member Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You really don't tells much about your Krag and no one can give you a realistic idea of it's value without knowing some basics. Are we talking about a rifle or a carbine? How much of the original finish is left on the metal and the wood? How beat up is the stock, any wood missing? Can you still read the inspectors markings on the left side and bottom of the stock? What is the condition of the inside of the barrel,nice and shiny or sooty stove pipe? Are there any extra holes in the receiver or on the barrel as if a scope may have been mounted at one time? Are the original sights still on the gun, rear sight should be either the M1898 or the M1902? There were more 1898 rifles produced (330,000) then any other model, but the carbines are relatively scarce. We are talking here about original M1898 carbines not the cut down rifles that were issued for use in the Philippines. Let us know and Iam sure that someone here will be glad to help you. All the best. Scout
  • Options
    101AIRBORNE101AIRBORNE Member Posts: 1,252 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Scout covered the criteria on determining value. You may wish to
    visit: www.jouster.com

They have a Krag forum.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the input Iroquois Scout & 101AIRBORNE

I will answer the issues you have provided as best I can.

1. It is a rifle and not a carbine.
    2. The bluing appears to be in its' original configuration. It is an ash/grey finish. The stock is original and completely intact. (No wood missing) It does have small dings and dents in it. It still posses a light shine.
    3. I could not find any Inspectors markings on the stock.
    4. The barrel is shiny inside, as I have cleaned this rifle thoroughly.
    5. There is a small rectangle area about 4" in front of the bolt which measures about 2 7/8"X7/8" that has two small holes in the barrel which appears was an area for a scope to be mounted. This area appears to be factory made but that is only my opinion and I am by no means an expert.
    6. The original "Peep Sights" are still on the rifle. This sight rotates 90 degrees backwards and I assume would be used when a scope is in use. (The rotating backwards that is)

Here is a few more items I think are of value in determining the value of this rifle.

The barrel length is just a hair over 30" if I measured this correctly
    The entire length of the rifle is 48 3/4"
    This what is stamped on the opposite side of the bolt:

U.S.
    MODEL 1898. SPRINGFIELD ARMORY. 161217

Thank you to all that can help me out with this.

GWF

Edited by - C10 on 10/29/2002 20:02:48
  • Options
    Iroquois ScoutIroquois Scout Member Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello again C10,I have some information on your rifle. First,the metal of the barrel,bands,trigger guard butt plate and sights should be a deep blue colour rather than an "ash gray". Often the receiver will be a gray colour because they were case hardened. Not being able to find the inspector's marks on a Krag stock means one of two things,either the stock is an in field replacement or it has been refinished after the military sold it. This stock goes up to with in about four inches of the muzzle and has it's handguard doesn't it? If the stock has been cut, it is a whole different ballgame. Iam also confused by the peep sight that swings back out of the way. Is this sight located on the receiver? The original military rear sight would be located just about where those two holes are in the barrel. The confuseing thing is that the Model 1902 military rear sight has a small peep pivoted on the back of the sighting piece that could be pivoted up into the line of sight or down out of the way as you wished,but the battle sight was an open notch. The military rear sight has a curved base and the sight leaf is marked up to 2000 yards. The serial number on your rifle puts it in the earlier part of 1898 production. Probably sometime in 1899. If your rifle is still in it's original military configuration,I would think it would be worth about $600,but,if it has been "sporterized" it is worth what ever you can get for it. Best regards Scout
  • Options
    jogn2jogn2 Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    C10,
    Your Springfield has been sporterized. It looks like they took the bbl sight off for a bolt peep.
    I not sure what the value is, but they are a great gun - I hunted with my grandpa's for years until I thought I need something newer.

Edited by - jogn2 on 11/01/2002 00:15:10
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Okay, Here I go. Call me "Newbie", green, puppy, whatever-What is "Sporterized"?

"It's better to be tried by twelve than carried by six."
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    Its where you cut off or take away everything that looks like a Military Weapon...then add all the Frills of a Modern Hunting Rifle or Carbine...Sporting Sights, Scope and mounts, Monte Carlo Stock, Set Triggers or Timney Trigger, the list go on...Or as my old Dad used to say...making a Silk Purse out of a Sows Ear...

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff