In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Kimber V/S Colt???

hitman#1hitman#1 Member Posts: 127 ✭✭
edited October 2002 in Ask the Experts
Have been shopping for ser70,80 Colt for a while but found a kimber tgt2 not real familiar with kimber. Looks like the SXE. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    jeandersjeanders Member Posts: 144 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go with the Kimber...I have a Colt 70 series and a Kimber, lots of
    money has gone into the Colt, none into the Kimber. I like the
    Kimber best.
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hummm ... let me see ... I wonder what kind of advise a guy with a handle like kimberkid would offer ... hummm

===========================
    Chance favors the prepared mind
    kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    hitman#1hitman#1 Member Posts: 127 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kimberkid, can you tell me the differences between the two?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Putting all bias and personal preference aside, you didn't say for what type of shooting you had planned for this purchase ... Concealed Carry, Competition or general shooting or for an investment ... all valid reasons to buy a new gun, but advise will vary with the purpose.

If this is strictly for investment there is only one ... COLT

Right out of the box the Kimber is ready to shoot, you can't say that about the typical Colt, however if your looking for concealed carry I prefer the Kimber Pro-Carry CDP, but I've been hearing a lot of good things about the Colt Defender, so based on the word of others here whose opinions I respect (some more than others ) I'd say it deserves a look.

If you want to get into a formal shooting competition and want to start with something better suited to that purpose, I'd look at hard at Kimber and Wilson's but most likely go with the Les Baer. I've recently had the pleasure to handle 2 Les Baer models; the Thunder Ranch and Premier ... both were exquisite.

A bit more info as to use, and we can get more specific.

• Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I like the earlier Colts and Kimbers, but both now have added safety systems that would make John Browning roll over in his grave. I would probably go with the 80 series Colt as I know how to modify their safety system. The Les Baer is a nice gun and is still made the way old John designed it.
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thats a coin toss for me.But I believe I would go with the Kimber.

Best!!!

Rugster

Toujours Pret
  • Options
    hunter7737hunter7737 Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hitman you might also consider a Springfield. I have all three brands. There's not a dimes worth of differance between the three until you go to resell it. Then you will wish you had the Colt.
  • Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like kimberkid, my user name may tend to reveal the advice I will give on this issue! It might be wise for someone to advise kk and me to not give advice because of our potential bias. But what the heck!

I agree the Kimbers are very high quality guns, maybe better than Colts of a few years ago, and cost about the same as comparable Colts. However, my recent experience with new Colts finds them very high in quality. Considering the long-term value and potential appreciation (or lack of depreciation) of the purchase, I would still go with a Colt.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    JudgeColt -
    To which models are you referring to when you say; quote:"However, my recent experience with new Colts finds them very high in quality."Having more 45's than I can reasonably justify (should I be asked to justify them), but not as many as I see myself having next year, that statement could qualify as reason to buy a Colt ... at least in my mind it would be a good reason.

• Options
    punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    kimberkid
    Try the Colt XSE models on for quality. I think you may be pleasantly surprised. I sure hope there is no mandate that we have to justify our guns. You should have heard me trying to 'justify' why I bought a 458 to my wife. (But honey if there is ever a rabid rhino in the neighborhood we will be prepared)

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I pulled some up on the auction side ...
    Except for the 90 year old design sights (which I can't believe they didn't up grade) and the narrow cocking serrations ... and of course the NEW ROLL MARKS it looks like a

KIMBER!

Well I guess if you can't beat'em ... join'em!

... but really, next show I'll take a look at one and let you know ... I really have high expectations of them