In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

M1A & M14 2 Screw Scope Mount

RAT383RAT383 Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
edited October 2002 in Ask the Experts
I have the old M1A & M14 1 Screw Scope Mount & was thinking a getting the newer 2 screw one, I have 2 ?, #1 Is it alot better than the older 1 screw one ? #2 Does the Second Screw leave any marks on the gun's receiver where it contacts it ? Thanks RAT

Comments

• ItGoBangItGoBang Member Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RAT... I just put the Third Gen. mount on my gun last week. I have had one of the older mounts before. It will not put any marks on the gun. It will be better than the one screw, It is like the name says.. 2 screws to keep it TIGHT. You do need to take your receiver out of the stock, and take out the stripper clip guide and put a different one back in the reciver. Just make sure you read the info that comes with the new mount.. Only take a few mins to do it. Check on GB for a mount, I think I saw one a few weeks back for under $100.00. You can see something for $30.00 that looks just like the one from Springfield, Dont know how good it is..

It will hurt you, More than it will hurt me..

Life Member... N R A

Thanks for all the help!
  • cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can drill and tap the single screw to take another small bolt and it works better than the SA 3rd Gen.
    cpermd
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't know about the other guys but do take a screwdriver with you
    to the range. It seemed like I had to torque the screws down after a few (about 60) rounds to get the mount to seat. just my observation.
  • GPWEAPONGPWEAPON Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There were some 2 screw units for $35. on dutch auction I got one and it's just as good as the springfield though it's made of aluminum instead of steel. I had a springfield 3rd. both require a certain amount of fitting.
  • Rifleman.308Rifleman.308 Member Posts: 101 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe I've been the unwitting poster boy for Springfield products, but I've never had a problem with a single one of their products.

Condensing my replies from other threads, I note that my Standard, walnut-stocked model shot 1.75" inch groups, open sights at 100 yards w/ 147 grain ball, right out of the box.

I then bought a 3rd gen mount and it fit just right without the need for a single adjustment.

I then mounted a 1st gen SA rangefinding govt model scope and used it for years without a single malfunction, despite a reasonable amount of abuse.

If you check feedback on SA products on this site, you'll find reason to think. For example, some tout the A.R.M.S. M-14 mount over the SA version. Some say run from SA scopes as fast as you can. However, speaking from my experience alone, I have had nothing but reliable and enjoyable use of every SA product I own. I swear to God I'm not a company shill; I'm just telling you about my experience.

In direct answer to your question, the best reason to go to a dual anchor mount is the "return to zero" you'll enjoy when reattaching the scope/mount after removing it for storage, transfer, cleaning, etc. Because the two anchors don't move and you have a much sturdier base than a screw and groove (i.e., 1st gen mount), you get a reliable return to zero when reattaching your sight rig. It's a comfortable feeling knowing that you can remove the scope and reattach it whenever you want and you'll still be dead on at 200 meters.

For what it's worth.
  • MikeinScappooseMikeinScappoose Member Posts: 71 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A friend bought a new M1-a a few years ago,and we've never been able to keep the mounts tight.It's a SA,2 screw.W've never used a screwdriver but soundsl like we need one.......a BIG one.Anyone using Loctite to keep em snug?and what color if so.
    Slightly OT,but we've never had goood luck with groups on this weapon either..do they "require" a certain weight/type of bullet,or??
    Could be the wiggleing mount too,eh?
    Thanks for reading. Mike
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep BIG srewdriver I found (like my above post said) do about ten Rounds tork it down, not hard and don't force it. you Might get about 1/8 to 1/4 turn. mine settled in after about 60 rounds.
    If you must, use Locktite thread lock (red bottle) and just a very little.

As for Ammo mine (STD Model) likes the 147 gr FMJ's and the 168 NMHPT will shoot
    3/8" @ 100 with the 147'S 1/2 TO 3/4 With the 168's. I was discureged
    at first with it but after I learned how to shoot it (Thanks to some old Vet. friends) I got a whole lot better with it and my groups.

Edited by - FrancF on 11/03/2002 18:16:29